Assessment 2: Case Study
Word count/duration: 1500 words. Use your computer to total the number of words used in your assignment. However, do not include the reference list at the end of your assignment in the word count. If you exceed the word limit by more that 10% the marker will stop marking at 1500 words plus 10%.
Aim of the assessment This assessment aims to develop your critical reflective thinking through the critiquing and reflection over your own values and attitudes in relation to the delivery of culturally safe care. You will also have the opportunity to gain insights into how change leaders are working/have worked to address social determinants of health (SDoH), to improve health outcomes for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people. This assessment allows you to apply your learning to your own culturally safe nursing and midwifery practice related to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples.
Part 1 (marking criteria 1,2,3 & 7) (approximately 750 words)
– You are required to use the Gibbs Reflective Cycle and critically reflect over a personal learning experience in 401206.
– Structure: Use the Gibbs cycle to structure your response. You can use the headings of the Gibbs cycle in your work. (approximately 750 words)
You do not need to have the same topic for part 1 and part 2 (for example, you may reflect on learning about Colonisation in part 1, and then discuss your Change leader addressing Racism in part 2)
Part 2 (marking criteria 4, 5,6 & 7) (approximately 750 words)
– You are required to carefully consider what you have learnt in relation to social determinants and the impact on Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander health outcomes. With this in mind, you are required to write your case study focusing on a change leader of your choice, who is bringing (or has brought) about positive outcomes by addressing a social determinant which prevents/prevented Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people from achieving equal health status as non-Indigenous people.
You can choose from the following list, or focus on a change leader of your own choice.
– Adam Goodes
– Shirley Colleen Smith (Mum Shirl)
– Joyce Clague
– Kristie Parker
– Stan Grant
– Faith Thomas
– Linda Burney
– Pat O’Shane
– Rachel Perkins
– Eddie Mabo
– Neville Bonner
– Anita Heiss
– Charles Perkins
– Mick Dodson
For part 2 you are required to utilise the following structure (NOT the Gibbs cycle)
– Part 2 structure; (approximately 750 words)
1. Introduction (approximately 75 words)
2. Explain the social determinant (eg Racism) and how this is a barrier for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people (approximately 200 words).
3. Explain the role your chosen Change leader (eg Adam Goodes), has played in addressing this social determinant, and therefore improving health outcomes for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people (approximately 200 words).
4. Discuss three ways you as a Registered Nurse/Midwife plan to provide culturally safe care to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander patients that you care for (approximately 200 words).
5. Conclusion (approximately 75 words)
References Minimum 7 Peer Reviewed references. When using the Gibbs cycle, you will be required to reference this. Your total reference list minimum is therefore the Gibbs cycle, plus 6 other peer reviewed sources.
For solution, connect with our online professionals.