AGING AND DISABILITY
People that are prone to be challenged with growth, development both in terms of Intellectual and physical are typically dual diagnosed, and their respective maladies are categorized as Intellectual and developmental disabilities (IDD) in the intensive medical dialects. Furthermore, they are prone to be devaluated by the so-called “normal” rest of the underlying society, which consequently deprives them from procuring equal rights and opportunities. On that note, the model of Social Role Valorization (SRV) is an extension of the prevalent Normalization approach that intends to alleviate the rights and demands of the dual disables in order to establish their validity in the society with esteem. On the other hand, the impulse of care coordination is to endow the IDDs with proper care and intellectual nourishment that they are inevitably devoid of due to the sense of social isolation.
SRV ON PEOPLE WITH IDD
Assessment: In this segment of conducting SRV, the victims of dual disabilities has been asked to interpret their own understanding about what the rest of the society thinks about them. On that note, the patients of social alienation as an inevitable aftermath of the devaluation that they are forced to suffer from can be endowed with the awareness that not every opinion of the rest of the society endorse hostility that they are suffering from (Bellamy, Paleologos, Kemp, Carter & King, 2014). For instance, people from the underlying society also subscribe the impression that people with dual disabilities tend to exhibit benevolence, innocence and they are prone to be spontaneous and transparent about their expressions. This will facilitate the process of assessing the impaired since they will eventually begin to grow trust with the coordinator. Apart from these verbal assessment approaches, several tools for neuropsychological assessment can be employed in order to discern the medical analogues of their demands that might guide the process of counseling. Moreover, the respective unit needs to decide on the collaboration of the psychoanalyst and the health and medicine expert in order to uplift the respective disable.
Planning: Before planning on the services that intend to the cater the IDDs, a sincere and insightful awareness regarding their values, abilities and interests need to be procured. Furthermore, the relationship with the respective victim needs to be established that is founded upon the notion of mutual trust. On that note, it is essential to admit that the counselor needs to devise an introspective insight regarding the physical and psychological specifications of the impaired (Block, Wheeland & Rosenberg, 2014). Moreover, the discourse of communicating with them needs to be simple and sensitive in order to exhibit the supportive intent of the enquiry of the counselor. The basic enquiry that the counselor must seek includes,
- What are the demands that they seek support of?
- What are the understandings that they have regarding their status in the society?
- What did they want to accomplish in their lives as a moral pursuit?
- How would they wish to align their pursuits with the prevalent social roles in order to ensure the valorization of those?
The plans regarding the emancipation of the pursuits of the disables towards the status of a significant social role, the subsequent planning needs to be framed upon,
- To enhance the competencies in order to enable them to continue their pursuits
- To emancipate the social status of the people which will enable them avail the means to facilitate the pursuits
Coordination: It is well established that the counselor must encourage and endow the disable with possible means in order to make them financially intermittent that is imperative for their voices to gain prominence in the underlying society. The Counselor may work on raising a fund that might assist the impaired to do so. The services that the counselors are required to provide needs to address the emerging clinical issues regarding the intensive causalities of the disabilities (Dorozenko, Roberts & Bishop, 2015). These issues mainly include health problems both in terms of physical and intellectual disabilities. This inherently generates an urge of regular care while the strategies of medication need to incorporate the employment accommodation and spiritual needs of the respective disable. The intent of the approach that is intensive to SRV deals with the clarification of the chronic issues that the disables are prone to suffer with. The essence of Coordination is to ensure the access of all the resources and empirical choices that directly caters their pursuit of life. Furthermore, proper coordination of the counselor and the health care experts need to be efficient enough to ensure their right to make the imperative decisions which facilitate their pursuit. Moreover, the counselors need to maintain a simple and sincere discourse while communicating with the disables in order promotes their objectives of life with esteem. The responsibilities that the counselor must comply with can be categorized as,
- Encouraging self-advocacy and self-help
- Sincere monitoring of their opinions
- Let the disables involve in prudent decision-making
- Manage to protect the rights and entitlement through suitable legal consideration
- Enabling them to avail the equality in opportunities
- Non-distinguishing the notions of discrimination
Weakness: As per the aforementioned apprehensions, it imparts a critical and sincere gaze on the personal strengths and competencies in order to elevate the status of their pursuits into a socially significant one. This sincere gaze intends to enquire about their descent and backdrop, educational qualifications, individual and social beliefs and extra-curricular interests in order to establish the mutual trust of the relationship that will further facilitate the improvisation of the care plan (Kumar, Singh & Thressiakutty, 2015). This might transform the schedule of the counselor hectic in order to ensure better care of the disables and emancipate their pursuits towards the status of a significant social role.
Strengths: The employment of SRV can cause various benefits too. Since, it enables the counselor with several intimate knowledge regarding the individual identity and the specific requirements of the client, the manner of assistance very subjective and easy to address. Moreover, the immense reverence that the counselor is dedicated to exhibit endows the respective client with the worthiness of the individual rights that they were significantly deprived of (Foley, 2016). Moreover, the approach of SRV enables the client with the confidence to opt and decide on his or her own terms.
Summary: SRV intends to emancipate the moral pursuits of the respective clients towards the status of a significant social role. Moreover, it speaks for the individual liberty of the client to opt and decide on his or her own terms. This also instills the respective client with the confidence to live their live according to their terms.
CASE COORDINATION ON PEOPLE WITH IDD
Assessment: Case coordinators need to acquire social expertise and psychological intuition that might enable them to gain appropriate skills of intervention in the verge of crisis. It is an exaggeration to admit that, they need to accumulate the acumen to discern the individual objectives of the respective client along with their specifications. The counselor might initiate this process with functional assessment and rehabilitation program (Sanchez & Moges, 2015). This assessment might find its origin from their identity-intensive information framed by their potential responses regarding the feedback that they have posed while availing the enquiries.
Planning: The process of planning can be arranged as,
- The intent is to endow the client with the confidence to opt for their own lives
- The case coordinators must discuss with the family members and physicians in a regular basis
- The master care plan needs to aligned with the specific requirements of the client
- Employ both verbal and non-verbal discourse while maintaining simplicity and sincerity
- Encourage the respective clients to shape their own creative lives
Weakness: The major weaknesses can be categorized as,
- As the case coordinators chiefly depends on the discussions they have with the respective family members, it might demand a lot of time to get the correct information that might facilitate the pursuit of master care plan
- Lack of communication skills develops the deficiency of compassion and hinders the seamless exchange of information and service
Strengths: The strengths of this approach of counseling can be posed as,
- The care plans are considerably flexible and supports the shift to align the plan in accordance with personal requirements
- It ensures a creative quality life of the respective clients since it encourages them to opt in their own terms
Summary: This approach imparts a considerable emphasis on the domestic encounter of the counselors with their respective client since they strictly rely on their opinions while extracting the variables that further assist them to improvise the master care plan.
COMPARATIVE ANALYSIS OF THE MODELS
- The moot intent of both of the approaches is identical and resonates in terms of the moral objective to encourage the disables to shape life at their own terms.
- The basic point where this approaches differ is in the former approach of SRV, the counselors rely on the personal encounter to extract the components of the subsequent master plan. On the other hand, the case coordinators encourage a great deal of discussion in order to avail the components of the master plan.
The moral intent that each of the approaches discussed here is to emancipate the status of the pursuits of the disables towards a mean of exercising a social role. Moreover, the encouragement of living life at their own terms is imperative to gain the equality of opportunities.