Analytical Anthology of Siemens AG
Introduction and Background
This study is supposed to present an analytical anthology of Siemens AG on the grounds and several aspects of Leadership and Management. Siemens AG is a global conglomerate who chiefly deals with the aspect of power generation followed by the transmission and percolation of the generated power. Apart from these core competencies, the respective conglomerate has also involved in global accounting and financial liabilities. Furthermore, the respective global conglomerate has expanded their business interests and recently concentrated on the aspects of building technology, healthcare and factories of digital expertise.
The Siemens AG was founded by Werner von Siemens and Johann Georg Halske on the eve of 12th October in the year of 1847. The global conglomerate enjoys their headquarters in Germany and recently possessed by the desire to expand across the globe while sustaining their prevalent business performance. The core competencies of this global unit is to provide electricity across the globe with an prudent expertise of automation and proper digitalization in the chief segments of the globe. Furthermore, another considerable feather that Siemens AG has been endowed with is as one of the major producers technological expertise of resource-saving and energy-efficient electrical appliances all across the globe. Apart from that, the respective global conglomerate has been able to earn a reputation as one of the leading providers of prudent and proper medical diagnosis while contributing a great deal in the issues and subsequent remedies in the sector of industrial infrastructure.
Joe Kaeser is supposed to be the the president and altogether the chief executive officer. The liability to manage each segments of the assigned tasks has been monitored by the Board Members which is supposed to be the most superior body of the respective enterprise. The Board of Members are employed to make the cardinal decisions regarding the rudimentary business policies and several other significant corporate strategies. On that note, it is imperative to proclaim that the respective unit is laden with a vast number of employees of around 35,000 subordinates and able to impart their across 200 countries. Furthermore, the respective enterprise is endowed with the liability of more than 250 units of production and manufacturing unit across the globe.
The absolute vision of the respective business enterprise has been passionately stated by the Board of Members and the president that flaunts an embedded desire to start work on a long-term five year plan that is supposed to last from 2015 to 2020. The strategic intent and the overview of the project can be anticipated from the underlying vision statement that goes as;
- A precise and transparent mission statement which conveys the importance of introspective insight. The catchline admits the moot aspiration as, “We make real, what matters”. On that regard it can be stated that, the prevalent business performance of the respective business unit ensures the fact that the unit is quite dedicated to provide what they have proclaimed.
- The pre existing culture of possession and ownership is a cardinal component that ensures the subsequent leap and can be functioned as a key to the expected outcomes of such ownership traits. Moreover, this demeanor is supposed to percolate across the organizational hierarchy and that is further posed as an hallmark of the global conglomerate.
- The management of the respective global conglomerate appear adamant regarding the current stance in supply chain which further facilitates their interests regarding the entrepreneurial vision of consistent and rampant embracement of Innovation in order to grasp a competitive edge in the attractive domains of growth. Moreover, they appear dedicated to acquire a stable sustainability while leveraging the core competencies of their business interests. They wished to confront their potent rivals in terms of consistent performance and efficiency (McFadden et al. 2015). Apart from everything else, the mission of five year plan, as per some prudent forecasts, is going to facilitate their entry in diverse overseas markets.
- The appear determined and ambitious regarding their upcoming ventures while proclaiming that enterprise will be able to provide all the stakeholders debts and expectations in order to ensure a better and sustainable stance in the prevailing market.
LO1 Differences between the function of a leader and a manager
P1 Define and Compare the several roles and characteristics of a leader and a manager
The notion of Organization have expressed the moot intent of the term since it is a collective entity that is chiefly governed by the cumulative interests of the hierarchy. While pondering on an business organization, one must identify and possess an insightful perception regarding the workplace and assigned tasks that might pave the organization towards their absolute objectives. In order to ensure a proper completion of a project, the entire module of tasks need to be distributed across the hierarchy along with the relevant tangible and intangible resources (Stadtler, 2015). On the advent of the current pursuit, it can be addressed that the leader tops the hierarchy of any standard organizational model.
On that note, the scope of the leaders can be illustrated as the capability of the superior managers to fix and subsequently accomplish goals or projects of excellence. Moreover, the designation expects a ability from the leaders to take swift and prudent steps while availing tasks of higher merit in order to combat the underlying hostile consequences within the work ambience. Moreover, the leaders are supposed to transcend the boundaries they themselves have set in order to generate the requisite innovation that might derive the entire unit of subordinates. On that note, it can also be addressed that in order to enable the leader to function competently while exercising their circumspect introspections the organization need to maintain an ordered and sustainable distribution of perceptions which can only be monitored by a cumulative entity called management.
As per scholarly simulations of Heizer, (2016), the process of proper management can be illustrated as the capability to administer and forecast regarding a plan that have the potential to organize, wield, cooperate and control the workplace ambience. From a slight offbeat note, management can also be cited as a philosophy that is chiefly shaped by the macro-economic factors and several under social undercurrents. It offers a discourse to cope with those indispensable social factors through a circumvent capability which encompasses the paradigm of politics, technology, leadership and other interactive skills and expertise.
M1 Analyse and differentiate between the role of a leader and function of a manager by effectively applying a range of theories and concepts.
The effective functioning of a manager is an integral criterion that might pave the respective enterprise towards their specific objectives. It has been discovered from the prevalent pertinent literature that the proper functioning of the leaders hold an extremely significant aspect regarding the supervising and execution of the assigned acts. The leaders are also supposed to perform as an advisory unit of the president, CEO, chief executive and other subordinates and staffs across the enterprise (Walker et al. 2014). On that note, the significance of leadership in the incipient phases of a standard organizational hierarchy needs to included in the paradigm of discussions since most of the enterprise operate under a misconception of unnecessary leaders that further disable the respective enterprise with the deficiency of proper leaders in each of the stages of the assigned work. The superior managers, on the other hand, principally deals with the aspects of planning, cooperating, ordering and wielding and all the requisite cardinal decisions have been taken by the respective incharge. On that course, the mediocre and lower level staffs and management executives are supposed to get involved in the decisions oriented with the operational pursuits and simultaneously able to contribute only a little in the absolute performances of the respective unit (Hitt et al. 2016).
On the note of the current context, the major differences between leadership and Management can be posed as;
- Leaders have been able to forecast and anticipate the recent future of an underlying venture in terms of competitive corporate strategies, technological expertise and the subsequent plans to develop policies in order to transcend the prevalent statistics of performance (Van der Voet, 2014). On the other hand, the managers wish to distribute the absolute visions in terms of individual expertise and excellence.
- Leaders are supposed to own a prudent and circumspect acumen that might enable themselves to forecast and to redefine the corresponding value equation of the respective enterprise. On the other hand, the managers have been restricted their concern within the execution and implementations of the value equation that has been vehemently suggested by the leaders. In a single sentence, Leaders are destined to accept the risks whereas the managers are expected to devise plans that might pave the organization towards the effective mitigation of the risks (Shao et al. 2016).
- Leaders have been extensively considered as the potential agents of change since they have been endowed with the creative aptitudes. On the other hand, the managers of their respective unit is supposed to retain the harmony and order in order to ensure the sustainability of the respective enterprise.
- Leaders are supposed to establish several business in order to drive the passion of expansion. On the other hand, the managers are supposed to develop and command several methods of the underlying business interest.
- Due to the creative capabilities followed by an attractive demeanor, an aura and reputation is an inevitable product in the facet of a leader. On the other hand, managers are used to exhibit respect only to those who have the capability to work for them.
|Leadership Theories||Management Theories|
|Trait Theory- The foundational apprehension regarding this theory considers specific individuals as the vector of charisma, qualitative aptitude and emotional intelligence and several other aspects and by the virtue of which they have been able to flourish as leaders. According to the underlying theory, these leaders have been naturally trained to become phenomenal leaders. ||Systems Theory- This theory is obliged to propose that in order to be a manager, the manager needs to develop an adequate introspection regarding the ambience and nature of encounter with the subordinates. The are considered as a patron of the prevalent system which has been endowed with diverse turns towards the ultimate objective. This theory is considered as magnificent since it liberally allows the manager to go through every pattern of business importance in order to retain the sustainability of an entire enterprise. |
|Path Goal Theory- This theory is founded upon the intent to fix consistent and transparent goals that might pave the respective enterprise towards competitive edge while ensuring the elimination of the inherent hindrances. In this regard, the leaders are expected to demonstrate the proper method of performing the assigned tasks. ||Chaos Theory- This idea is circumvent since wish to pose the concept of system as an off-being entity. This foundation encourages the manager to install introspective insight regarding the changes that the organizations are vulnerable with. The managers are expected to develop the ideas that are potent enough to withstand the immediate impacts of change v(Fernández-Muñiz et al. 2014). |
|Transformational Theory- The intent of this theory partially resonates with the trait theory since this theory also wish to glorify the attractiveness and creative aptitude as the driver of sound leadership capabilities. Furthermore, according to this theory, that stature will encourage and motivate the immediate subordinates. ||Theory X and Theory Y- In accordance with the intent of this theory, the subordinates are supposed to be inherently idle and lethargic and deliberately lacks interest to work fair without with any verbal or financial reward or incentive. On the contrary, Theory Y of the management studies is framed upon the axiom which vehemently trusts the fact that the employees are motivated by default and little demonstration of rasks will work for them. |
LO2- Apply the role of a leader and the role of a manager in given contexts.
P2 Examine examples of how the role of a leader and the function of a manager apply in different situations
The leadership capabilities also include the efficiency to retain the collaborative spirit with all of the potential subordinates in order to ensure seamless exchange of information and services. On that note, a evident boundary can be drawn among the leadership and management pursuits since the notion of management ensures an individual to work without any impediment while the managers are thoroughly intrigued with the collective performance of the entire unit. The leaders are prone to offhand thinking which further endow the business unit with innovative ideas. On that note, it can be assessed that the Leaders used to accept risks of higher proportions than the managers since the managers are not associated with risk taking. Instead of that, the managers are supposed to devise the plans which might pave the organization towards the mitigation of the risks.
M2 Assess and Evaluate the strengths and weaknesses of different approaches to situation within the work environment
In order to evaluate the strengths and weaknesses of Siemens AG, the analytical framework of SMART has been employed which include;
- In order to introduce a profit cut, Siemens decided to optimize the processes in 2006
- A rapid increase in the investments of capital
- In order to consolidate the prevalent portfolio, more attention needs to imparted on the aspects of electrification, automation and digitalization. This urges for proper monitoring of the business records.
- Replacement of 30% of the employees towards overseas markets in order to grasp a comprehension of volatility of the overseas markets.
- To enhance the customer satisfaction considerably
P3 Apply different theories and models of approach, including situational relationship, systems leadership and contingency
The decision-making agents of the respective global conglomerate imparts a considerable impact on the absolute performance of the entire unit since the the spirit of dividing managements is chiefly governed by the critical performance of the respective company. The moot vision that drives the entire unit of top management is the values and the expected outcomes that the decisions are endowed with. The decisions have been forwarded to the mediocre and low level managements in order to facilitate the execution of those assigned tasks. The underlying operational performances that chiefly drives the immediate customer performances is the embedded value that might ensure the immediate shareholders regarding their return. Furthermore, the prudent operational plans typically comprises of production planning at the phases of individual expertise coupled with the spirits of provincial marketing planning, sales and customer service planning across the globe.
D1 Critically analyse and evaluate the different theories and approaches to leadership in given contexts
As it was mentioned earlier, Siemens AG has been funded principally by Werner Von Siemens in 1847. In the prevalent account of percolation of electricity such seamlessly has never been done and probably that is why Von Siemens is considered as a “Giant of a Leader”. Moreover, this guy is supposed to automate and digitize in order to introduce a revolution in the then nascent market of electrical appliances. On that note, it can be addressed that Von Siemens is the pioneer who proposed Thomas Carlyle to devise and execute the trait theory in the volatile domain of electrical appliances. From that extend to the massive automation and digitization will further consolidated the pioneering spirit which they have been able to sustain successfully till now.