How Students Can Manage Mental Health During Pandemic
To debate is to put forward your views and discuss a topic with a person who has opposing views as to your own. Debating often leads to solutions which are otherwise difficult to find. It works on the principle of agreeing to disagree. To encourage students in putting forward their views and to share their opinions about crucial topics, debate competitions are often held in schools and colleges. For such competitions and school/colleges papers, choosing a topic important enough to debate upon could be cumbersome.
Here is a list of 40 such topics which are interesting as well as which influences the world around us.
1) SHOULD ABORTION BE LEGALIZED?
Should it be the decision of the mother? Or should it be a legal matter?
2) TESTING OF PRODUCTS ON ANIMALS
Should the products be tested on animals? Is it animal cruelty?
3) HUMAN CLONING
Human cloning should be banned? Is it too dangerous? Or is it a splendid breakthrough in science?
4) LEGALIZATION OF DRUGS
Do all drugs have adverse effects? Should marijuana be banned?
5) SHOULD CELEBRITIES BE IDOLIZED?
Are our favourite celebrities worthy of idolizing? Should we idolize people who have a whole different personality than what we see on our tv screens?
6) ARE HOMEWORKS IMPORTANT IN SCHOOLS?
Are home-works beneficial? Are they burdensome?
7) TECHNOLOGY IS LEADING TO UNEMPLOYMENT?
Is technology stealing jobs? Or are new projects providing new opportunities?
8) SHOULD PEOPLE BE ALLOWED TO POSSESS GUNS?
Are arms necessary for self-defence? Should the general public be allowed to possess them?
9) VOTING SHOULD BE MANDATORY?
When people lose faith in their politicians, they lose faith in the power given to them to choose their leader, that being, voting.
10) DEATH PENALTY SHOULD BE ABOLISHED?
Is the death penalty a deviation from human rights? But then what happened to justice?
11) EUTHANASIA SHOULD BE LEGAL?
But should it be legalized keeping in mind the crimes that could be committed in its name?
12) RELIGION- BOON OR A CURSE?
Keeping in mind the crimes that are committed in the name of religion, this question is raised.
13) ARE BEAUTY PAGEANTS PROMOTING THE WRONG THING?
With the pageants focusing on “beauty” many people are criticizing them for sending the wrong message to young girls.
14) VEGANISM OR VEGANATZISM?
With the rise in popularity of veganism, it makes us question whether it is just a trend which is going too far or is it beneficial?
15) ARTIFICIAL intelligence- CAN POSE AS A THREAT?
It is a controversial topic even more so after Google shut down its famous AI program.
16) MILLENIALS- JUST A MEME OR SOMETHING MORE SERIOUS?
Memes related to millennials surely are funny, but we need to keep in mind that they are the future.
17) COMPULSION OF ATTENDANCE
In most of the schools and colleges, 75% attendance is required to sit in an exam. Is it necessary? Or should the students be given the option to choose?
18) HAPPINESS WITHOUT SUCCESS?
Can happiness be achieved without being “successful”? Isn’t success a relative term?
19) BALANCE BETWEEN STUDIES AND SOCIAL LIFE
Studies are important for any student. But is it worth at the expense of one’s social life?
20) SHOULD STUDENTS BE KEPT OUT OFF POLITICS?
If we keep students away from politics, is shielding them a good thing for our country?
21) WHAT MAKES SOMEONE WORTHY OF RESPECT?
Should age be really a factor when “respecting” someone? Even if they are wrong?
22) SHOULD MUSIC BE A PART OF SCHOOL CURRICULUM?
Is music an important part of a student’s life? Should it be taught in schools?
23) CAN WE ACHIEVE WORLD PEACE?
Is it possible to achieve world peace even after all the differences we have? Is the concept too unrealistic?
24) SHOULD 18 BE THE AGE TO BE CONSIDERED AN ADULT?
What’s the difference between 17-year-old and 18 when it comes to legal matters? Is such an exact age necessary to do things legally?
25) SHOULD COUNTRIES POSSESS NUCLEAR WEAPONS?
If we don’t want war, then why possess this weapon of mass destruction?
26) GRAFFITI ART SHOULD BE DISPLAYED IN GALLERIES
Should graffiti be displayed in art galleries next to the top-notch paintings? Are they worth it?
27) IS FEMINISM BECOMING MORE FEMINAZI?
Is there anything like feminazi? Or is it just sexism? Shouldn’t feminism focus on equal rights for both men and women?
28) SHOULD MEDIA BE CENSORED?
Shouldn’t media be independent of any sort of external influence? Or is it giving it too much power?
29) IMMIGRANTS SHOULD BE ALLOWED?
Should immigrants be allowed in a country legally? Or should they be treated as criminals?
30) ARE ZOOS ANIMAL CRUELTY?
Are zoos educational? Or is it animal cruelty to keep animals in captivity?
31) SHOULD BASIC LIVE SAVING MEASURES BE TAUGHT IN SCHOOL?
Should first aid training be part of the school curriculum?
32) SHOULD SPACE MISSIONS BE FUNDED BY THE GOVERNMENT?
Are space missions necessary? Should they be funded?
33) ARE SOLDIERS PROVIDED WITH SUFFICIENT SALARY?
Are the soldiers provided with enough salary? Or should they be paid much more in return of what they do for our country?
34) IS UNIFORM CIVIL CODE JUSTIFIED?
Is it necessary for different laws for different people?
35) IS RESERVATION JUSTIFIED?
Is reservation required? Or was it necessary only for the old times?
36) IS FOREIGN AID REQUIRED?
Shouldn’t a country’s money help its citizens first? Or should a country help another country first?
37) SHOULD SMALL STARTUPS BE FUNDED BY GOVERNMENT?
Or should the government focus on large international companies which bring more revenue for the country?
38) SHOULD THERE BE A LIMIT ON NUMBER OF CHILDREN PER FAMILY?
Should this be decided by the government? Or should it be a personal choice?
39) IS INDIA ACTUALLY DEMOCRATIC?
Are we really a democratic nation? Are we given what we have been promised?
40) SHOULD MONEY BE INVESTED ON CRIMINALS?
Should money be invested on criminals in terms of expensive accommodation and recreational activities?
Students can't be Wrong!