|Assessment Type||Communication Strategy in the Workplace|
– Short Answer Questions
|Aligned Learning outcomes||1.1, 1.3, 2.1, 2.2, 2.3, 3.3, 4.1, 4.2, P.E, K.E|
|Length||750 - 1000 words|
Assessment 2 Details and Instructions
Reflect on an organisation that you are (or have been) a part of. This might be a housing, ATSI, recreation, AOD, disability, CALD, youth or community service.
- What are the internal & external communication needs of this organisation – i.e. who do they need to communicate both internally and externally?
- What strategies are used in this organisation to communicate both internally and externally?
- Are these strategies effective? Does a communication plan exist for a potential crisis and is it effective?
- Outline your plan for what might be able to be done differently, to be enhance these communication strategies.
Information for this assessment can also be sourced by visiting a local agency to observe and ask about what internal & external communication strategies are used.
- Start by noticing what posters are up and brochures that are available in the reception area. Talk to a staff member to ask some questions to obtain feedback on communication strategies.
- Look at the organisation’s website. What information about the service is there? How is this presented & communicated? Do they use Facebook, Twitter, etc.?
Based on the communication strategies you have identified, and the research that you have conducted, please answer the following questions.
- What is meant by the term communication protocols? Are they in place and if not, what should they be and how would you develop them?
- List the strengths and weaknesses of the internal and external communication strategies that you have identified.
- What are some important considerations when developing a communication process in the workplace?
- How would you prepare information and resources to ensure compliance with communication protocols?
- Does the organisation’s communication process take diversity or special needs into account, if so, how? If not, what would you suggest?
- What are some improvements to overcome communication barriers that you have identified with the organisation?
- How does the organisation review its communication plans?
Outline 2 ways in which the organisation you have researched can build and maintain employee engagement.