EDEC105 Play Activities for Special Age Group: Educational Games Assessment Answer
Assignment Title: Educational Games
Play is very necessary in the development of children and it is full of fun. A child can learn through playful means. They play the role of adult by imitating them and this is a natural activity. Children create, communicate, imagine, selects, solves the problem, build physiques. For motivating the kids, playfulness is very necessary and it offers liberty in them for activity exploration. Play enhances the creativity, and language development among the children. Kids get more advantage when they are involved in interactive play and knowledge sharing curriculum. Material presentation in the curriculum is much effective and easy to manipulate. There is a mixture of internal force to grow and learn in the development process of the children.
In this essay, we are going to explain about three play activities. All these three activities are designed for special age group. These activities have different purpose for different age group.
Activity 1- Children with special needs:
Feature of group-
Children with special needs can be of different categories. In this task, three categories of such children will be considered. The first category is the children who are having autism. The second category is the children who are blind and the third category is the children who are orphans. These three categories are extremely sensitive and therefore; the children of these categories require special care by their teachers.
Due to the fact that these children feel difficulties in learning compared to the normal children, therefore; the teachers need to make them learn through different activities (Parsons, 2015). The main intention should be to create a sense among them so that they can learn in a faster and easier way.
Children who are autistic need to be involved in learning with the playing activities. Learning games such as sensory bottles and ice painting can be extremely useful. For example, when they would be involved in learning basic maths, then; they need to be provided with the physical things which they would be able to count. This would help them to be aware of the numeric and they would be able to count with ease.
Follow up activities-
Visual schedules can be created which would help them to count the schedules with ease.
Resources- Sensory bottles and Ice paints
Children who are suffering from blindness:
The problems for teaching the blind children can come from the fact that the teachers cannot show them any demonstration. The children also cannot read the books and therefore; physical objects need to be provided to them so that they would be able to count by touching.
The books that would be provided to them need to be based on Braille. This would help them to touch and count the numbers (Barlow-Brown, barker & Harris, 2019). The teachers need to keep special care of them while playing. Braille dots can be used and they would be encouraged to keep them feet or hands on those dots and this would help them to be aware about their movements as well. They can be provided with Braille chess by which they would be able to sharpen their brains. This would be a game of fun for them and would support them to use their intelligence in a better way.
Follow up activities-
They can be also provided with some memory games. These games would be extremely important for them, as those would be able to help these children to memorize the places where the things are kept.
Resources- Brail Books
In case of the orphan children, it would be extremely important for teachers to take special care. The reason is that they do not get the parental support and for this, they feel the difficulties on learning the basic things. In this aspect, it is the responsibility of the teachers to make them feel that they are not alone. Therefore; for them, group learning activities or team games are going to be extremely important (Hecker et al., 2017). Games like football and others which require team work are going to be extremely important for them.
They can be also provided opportunities to make some exhibition tours so that they can learn about the outer world. It would be important for the teachers to provide them with the basic support, which they miss due to the fact that they do not have their parents. Therefore; they should not be kept alone for a long time. In fact, they need to be kept as such that they would always get some people with whom they would be able to communicate and share their feelings. This is an extremely important activity.
Activity 2: Learning activities for the toddlers:
Feature of group-
Toddlers are considered as the age group from which they start learning and emotional and physical development starts occurring.
It would be extremely important to choose the activities that can help in supporting for the better emotional and physical development. This is going be an important activity, as it would help in increasing their learning skills. Another activity that has been chosen is the teamwork. Due to the fact that teamwork is extremely important for success of any important and challenging tasks, therefore; if the toddlers are involved in the team works then, they would be able to achieve success in the academic and professional life as well.
Painting can be considered as an important learning activity for the toddlers (Sin & Partyka, 2017). They can be provided with colours and they can be encouraged to paint anything which comes in their imagination. For example, they can be asked to draw apple and banana. This would help them to be aware about the basic structure of the fruits or the flowers and they would be thus able to identify the names with ease. Gardening can be another important activity for the toddlers. With the help of this activity, they would be able to be involved in the learning about planting trees and the process by which they would be able to grow the plants.
Therefore; some games that require teamwork have been chosen and the toddlers would be involved in such games. This would also help in increasing and enhancing their social growth as well. With the help of teamwork, they would be able to learn about socializing and they would be able to grow in a positive environment (Haciibrahimoglu, 2017). The next activity that has been chosen is the physical games. Due to the fact that, it is also important for the toddlers to enhance their physical growth, therefore; some outdoor games are going to be extremely important for them. Outdoor games such as running and jumping are going to be included and these games will help in increasing their physical growth. Along with these games, some technological games would be also important. With the use of the computers, these toddlers can be involved in games such as chess and other fun games. This would also help them to be involved in their growth about technological knowledge that has become extremely important in the recent years.
They would be able to solve important challenges that would come in their way while playing the computer games. However; more than the indoor games, it would be extremely for these toddlers to be involved in the outdoor games. Even, some learning activities can be implemented in the outdoor games. For example, they can be given the task of counting the number of fruits present in a tree or they can be given the activities of adding some objects in a set. This would help in sharpening their memory and also would help in increasing their knowledge in counting, adding and subtracting. Some language games can be also helpful for them as those games would help in strengthening their knowledge in some languages, which are not familiar for them. This would help them to enhance their outer knowledge that is going to be extremely important for their growth. Even, the parents of these children would be encouraged to support them with some of these activities in their home as well. This would help the children to become a better human being and would also help them to strengthen their knowledge in a better way.
Resources required- Paints, plain sheets, Kids garderning tools, Language puzzels
Acitvity 3-Learning play games with technology
Feature of group-
The activity is designed for older kids (8-10 years).
To make them well versed with new technology as well as to give opportunity to exploe their creative side.
In this chapter, we will try to study about the basics of creating Fun movies for the kids all by yourself and then converting them into DVDs. these DVDs can later on be used whenever required. The students will learn about various important techniques about movie making with the help of Windows Movie Maker along with a lot of quick tips (Goldstein, 2013). This will help them in making their own creative movie which can be then converted into a DVD for personal use.
Equipments- Computer, DVD, Camera
Important movie making things to think about:
- The point of view of the person in terms of whose perspective is the story all about?
- Putting the captions as per preference either before or after pictures
- Time of each scene in the movie
- Background music
- Sound effects, texts, color, style, size, etc.
- Transitions of each scene for example swiping, sliding, appearing, fading, etc.
- Stages of the story in terms of introduction of characters, storyline, story building, climax, ending and final credits.
- The speakers must be attached to the computer system in which the Windows Movie Maker program has been installed (Haugland, 2019). The person will also require lot of images, sound, music, and other creative resources.
- It can be a team work or individual effort
- The class has to be introduced with Windows Movie Maker to help them learn about the program and create movies.
- A handout giving instructions about the theme, character, storyline, length, etc. should be given to each student to help them in the process.
- The students will then use this sheet to develop ideas and fill it up whenever II they have completed making the movie or during the process as per convenience
- Those students should also be given a presentation about using the software in terms of showing them a movie which you have created, which will help them in understanding various features of the software, sound effects, transitions, eytc. Along with your expectation from them.
- Then question them about what they have like in your movie, what dis like they had, their suggestions, and what would have been improved in a different manner?
- Tell the students about the program by giving a demo as to which icon has to be selected to enter into the program on the computer.
- It is also preferable that the students are told about the storage where are all the sound, music, images, photos and other resources related to the movie making can be found at. The students can then keep adding their own resources and uploading images, music, etc. from their own personal sources like a CD, USB or a memory card.
- Show the students how to make a movie by preparing a quick example of a short movie in front of the class.
- Also tell them about the story board and its operation, the difference between the story board and the timeline view in which the movie can be seencompletely with sound, music, title, effects, and credits. Whereas, the storyboard view only allows you to see the images and sound.
- that dragging and dropping feature must also be explained to the children in terms of putting items in the story board and timeline to create movie scenes, put effects,etc.
- You should also show the children how to introduce titles and credits in the movie, animation, styles, font size, color, etc (Stoustrup, 2019). It is also important that the students have been told about the importance of giving a title to your movie, as this will make them understand better and easier for others to understand as well.
- Transitions cannot be put into the scenes of the movie to show a difference which will include effectslike fading, sliding, swiping, rolling, etc. The effects of the video in terms of the images will help making the movie more creative and attractive. For example, if that topic that you have chosen is long back from the past, then the images must be shown as a greyish- faded effect.
- Finally, the students must be told about saving their movie in the computer and also making them understand the importance of doing so. The movie maker software helps saving the work in every 10 minutes, but the user must also save his work regularly.The students must now be let free to ask as many questions as they want to clear their doubts.
- They can now begin creating a movie for themselves
- Your work is now to keep supervising and helping them wherever they are stuck when creating a movie and keep giving them more ideas and suggestions to improve upon the final product (Kline et.al., 2013). It is also important that you keep reminding the students about saving their work.
- Student can also draw their own pictures for using in the movie if they do not find suitable images in the storage space. Or if you want to bring in more creativity in the movie. They should be helped with telling them about the drag and drop option in the software.
- Asking the students to try finishing their work by giving 30 minutes in hand. They should also be asked to add titles and credits to the movie and include the name of all those who have been involved in making this movie.
- They should now start finally saving their work at a desired place with recommended settings and also in the personal storage devices.
- The students work can now be copied to the main computer system in which all the other students will be able to watch it on the projector screen.
- The movies can also be burnt into DVDs which the student can take home along with themselves.
Follow-up activity- Burning a DVD for each student to take home
- The movies of the students must be cleaned and all access data should be removed once they have left.
- Save it into a movie file with adequate settings
- Make a DVD of each movie with the help of an AVI converter
- Create a folder labeledvideosand audits in which all the VOB’s should be placed with their related files (Weil & Rosen, 2017).
- Start burning the folders into a DVD with the help of a burning program
- Make one DVD for each one of the students for as per their requirement.
A vital hallmark in the play is to make them believe in the play as a fantasy before kids gets more oriented into the real world. Some of the common play includes building a dummy house, baby care, driving vehicular toys like trucks and car falls in the daily events of their play as learning. When play disappears from childhood, then there is a downfall and the impact will be much violent. If the kids are not made to invest in the play, there can be a worst situation and aggressions in a human society.