ENT101 Introduction to Entrepreneurship and Innovation: Rogers Model Assessment 1 Answer
INTRODUCTION TO ENTREPRENEURSHIP AND INNOVATION
Rogers has mentioned the fact on the rate of adoption that the relative speed of adopting the innovation is associated with the understanding of the acceptance speed of the technological adoption that have been adopted in the social system. For technological innovation in business ii tie essential to ensure the fact that the technology must be adopted from the end of all employees and operating organizations (Atkin et al., 2017).
Content with Evidence
Considering the real world application, it has been found that the suggested model of Diffusions of Innovation from the end of Rogers has supported the technological adoption in the organization. Through the elements of the model, proper discussion and understanding of innovation and the associated channel of communication to adopt the technological development can be understood. The innovation graph based on the model can reflect the nature of technological applications (Lai, 2017).
Figure 1: Rogers Diffusion Graph
(Source: Lai, 2017)
The above graph has recorded the percentile of the technology adopters in some given business scenario. As per the research work of Lai, (2017) it has been found that the implementation of the information technology in business environment has been possible with this diffusion of innovation model. The major stages that have helped in the process to adopt the technology are understanding, persuasion, decision, implementation, and confirmation. Communication is the process that helps in the process to confirm the adoption of technology towards all the employees and management of the organization (Tarhini et al., 2015). The following process in the diagram is responsible for it-
Figure 2: Structure of the Rogers Model of adoption and associated reason
(Source: Lai, 2017)
Decision is important in this regard, as it decides on adoption and rejection of the technology. The research work of Bhattacharya, (2015) has reflected the adoption of RFID in the retail industry with the use of Rogers’s stage model. The RFID technological adoption in the organization has helped in the following manner-
- Innovators: RFID in the industry is essential and Amazon is the first organization, which has brought the technology to the retail industry. The financial lucidity and the closest contact to the scientific sources are efficient for Amazon that has helped the organization to apply RFID for better control over the supply chain practices.
- Early Adopters: It is the second fastest category of the individuals or organizations that are adopting the technology. In this regard, degree of leadership plays an important role in the RFID adoption in the organizational context. After Amazon, the organization Tesco has adopted the RFID application in the organizational context. More discrete approach has been shown from the end of early adopters compare with the innovators. It is vital for maintaining central communication position (Bhattacharya, 2015).
- Early Majority: This section is tending to be slower than the innovators and early adopters in the adoption of technology. Opinion leadership in a system, which is vital for the technological application generation, is applied in this segment. High degree of scepticism is important in this segment, which is essential for enhancing the technological application in industrial scenario. Here, not much financial lucidity is necessary for adopting the technology. After a major portion of the society adopts the technology then this section adopts the technology (Lai, 2017).
- Late Majority: This segment is the last section to adopt the innovation or technological application after the majority of the organizations or people adopt the technology. Very little financial lucidity is expected from the end of this section. Small and medium organizations are the late majority to adopt the RFID technology.
- Laggards: This segment is the last to adopt the innovation and technology. No opinion leadership is prominent in this section. Laggards are mainly associated with the following of traditions and believe in the old techniques and processes. Thus, aversion to change-agents is present in this laggards section (Bhattacharya, 2015).
Technological advancements in the business are essential to adopt so that the interactions with the employees and consumers can be performed. Focusing on the Rogers Model it has been found that for any technologies it is effective for the business operations. Technologies such as Business Management Applications, Email and Office Applications, Consumer Self-Service, Web Conferencing, Consumer Feedback and Integration Applications can be fit in the Rogers model to facilitate and explain the technological adoption model (Atkin et al., 2017).
Therefore, it is evident from the above findings that the Rogers model is efficient for the explanation of the technologies. The segments that have been identified in the model are able to represent the mode of technology adoption. However, the study related to the model has not been explored much but it has provided important information for technology diffusion studies. The gap related to understand the technological adoption could be understood properly with the development of RFID in the retail section (as highlighted in the above section).