There are two components to this assessment task, a holistic health promotion brochure and a written paper to address Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus in one target group from an Australian priority population. Your brochure and written paper should reflect the application of the Transtheoretical (Stages of Change) Model, lifestyle medicine principles and health education strategies with holistic considerations throughout. To get started you will need to:
PART 1 DETAILS: BROCHURE (800 words - worth 20% of total grade for unit)
- Choose a target group, with a specific age and geographical location, from an identified Australian priority population. You may also wish to include a particular culture and/or gender.
- Use the Transtheoretical (Stages of Change) Model to guide the development of your health promotion brochure
Design a 2-page brochure (i.e. one double-sided A4 page) of 800 words, which could be used to address type 2 diabetes mellitus in your target group.
The brochure should utilise the Transtheoretical (Stages of Change) Model, lifestyle medicine recommendations and health education principles in its development. The brochure should focus on holistically promoting and enabling health behaviour change by referring to the health issue and recommending appropriate strategies to consider for health improvement.
Other information for brochure
PART 2 DETAILS: WRITTEN PAPER (1200 words - worth 35% of total grade for unit)
- You must use Microsoft Word® (.doc/.docx) to design your brochure. Importantly, see note below that no scanned documents or images are accepted in Turnitin.
- The brochure must then be saved and submitted as an Adobe PDF® document in Turnitin so the formatting and layout of your brochure saves and displays correctly.
- The design and layout are completely up to you, including font size, headings, colour and images to illustrate points. You may wish to make a folded brochure or choose another format. Columns or text boxes are recommended, to break up the information.
- The brochure needs to be referenced in APA style. Your reference list needs to be placed on a 3rd page, after your 2-page brochure and is not included in your word count.
- The majority of references must be evidence-based sources, such as current books or journal articles, not websites. A minimum of 6-8 references is expected for the brochure, no more than 8–10 years old.
- The brochure MUST include your name and student number in the footer of the first page (bottom left hand side is preferred).
- Note: “Turnitin will not accept PDF image files, forms, or portfolios, files that do not contain highlightable text (e.g. a scanned file - usually an image), documents containing multiple files or files created with software other than Adobe Acrobat®.” (Turnitin, 2019)
Write a 1200-word paper describing how you have holistically planned your health promotion brochure. You must discuss the following aspects:
Other information for written paper
- Describe the health issue of type 2 diabetes mellitis and outline your target group from an Australian priority population. Provide evidence on the prevalence of type 2 diabetes in this group and any social determinants of health for this population.
- Describe how the Transtheoretical (Stages of Change) Model has been applied to guide development of the brochure and promote healthy behaviour change.
- Discuss the evidence-based lifestyle medicine recommendations used to address this health issue (i.e. diet, activity, other best-practice recommendations).
- Discuss how health education principles, including health literacy, were used to develop the brochure.
- Outline how the brochure enables holistic health promotion to take place, including any psychosocial, cultural or spiritual considerations.
- Utilise appropriate scholarly and evidence-based literature to justify your discussions.
- The paper should be correctly formatted as an academic paper including an introduction, discussion and conclusion.
- The paper should display appropriate literacy skills, be clearly written, structured and referenced. Please refer to the “Assignment Writing and Presentation Guide” (library link available on Moodle) for expectations regarding correct writing, formatting and referencing.
- Acknowledgement of sources and correct referencing as per APA style is essential. Please note: this means that all discussion points within the paper must be referenced (this refers to justification and evidence in the marking guide).
- This paper must be based upon current literature and research (references no more than 8-10 years old). Current journal articles and textbooks must be the main source of references, not only internet sources. Any internet sources, if used, must be from reputable websites.
- For a paper of this size, it is expected that a minimum of 10-12 appropriate references be used.