Interventions for Social Worker Regarding Treatment of Megan and Sam Assessment Answer
Development of a child in multiple aspects is significant to overcome a hazardous situation as well as to combat future challenges. According to the scenario, Sam and Megan both are subjected to several bruises and marks. The responsible social worker thinks that both children may get injuries due to some fight or sports games. The social worker od Tusla tries to improve the physical health and mental health of both the kids in order to recover them from an unsafe condition. Along with that, the caregiver wishes to develop the kid's social belongingness. In regards to this, the caregiver should have effective training. By working efficiently with the kids, the caregiver can improve their health as well as their belongingness to the community. The social worker should implement some strategies to do the same which are described below briefly;
Interventions for the social worker regarding the treatment of Megan and Sam:
1.Erikson's 8 stages of psychosocial development:
According to theory, ego plays a major role in the development of attitudes, personality, ideas and skills of a person (Erikson’s 8 Stages of Psychosocial Development, 2020). By mastering on the method, children can effectively develop a bright future for themselves. During each stage of development, some psychosocial contradictions are arising which has to be overcome in order to create a healthy and prosperous life.
Mistrust vs trust:
Every child needs their parents should trust them (Dunkel and Hartke, 2017). Thus, regarding the context, the caregiver should develop trustworthy bonding with Sam and Megan by conducting some role-play sessions. Alongside, the caregiver should treat the children gently to achieve the trust of the kids.
Doubt vs anatomy:
It is the stage of controlling the actions and activities of children (Branjeand Koper,2018). Also, this stage can be named as ‘me do it'. The caregiver should give freedom to Sam and Megan regarding their choice and actions. As an example, if the kids selected something to wear but the dress is not appropriate in that situation though the caregiver should give independence to their selection. By the help of this stage, self-esteem can be developed in the children.
Guilt vs initiative:
It is the stage which helps to realise the guilty and take appropriate action. The caregiver should set some goals or achievements regarding this stage. By achieving the goals, Sam and Megan can develop self-confidence.
Inferiority vs industry:
This is the stage in which children compare them with their peers (Degges-White, 2017). Sometimes they feel some inferiority and sometimes they able to develop a sense of pride. By accomplishing school works, sports children can feel proud. Thus, the social worker should set a target which has to be achieved by Megan and Sam.
Role confusion vs identity:
Children want to get the answers of ‘who am I?', ‘what do I can in my life?'. The responsible social worker should conduct some sessions of role play in order to develop a positive attitude in the kids.
Isolation vs intimacy:
For developing a positive character and increase the belongingness with community, children should understand the value of their thoughts. Thus, the caregiver encourages the children to play some outdoor games or to engage with the community in order to provide the feeling of belongingness.
Stagnation vs Generativity:
During this stage, children learn the skills which are helpful to support the community. Regarding the age of Sam, the social worker should engage him with the social workings to learn social skills.
Despair vs integrity:
In this stage, the caregiver should provide the feeling of achieving to the kids. Appreciation, rewards regarding a task can help the caregiver regarding this.
- This theory is very helpful in learning social skills and involvement with the community.
- Each stage of this theory helps kids to learn about the culture.
- Huge time is required to complete all the stages, which is a significant drawback of this theory.
2. Stress theory:
Stress can be defined as the response of a body part due to the effect of glucocorticoids (Steele et al. 2016). Megan and Sam both are suffering from a certain level of stress. They are afraid to communicate with the caregiver regarding the impact of stress. The caregiver in this regard should implement appraisal focused strategy in order to reduce the stress form the kids. In regards to this, the caregiver should appraise the kids and appreciate their every task during some activities like gameplay or interaction sessions.
- This theory is very helpful to develop an excellent coping skill.
- Apart from that, by the help of appraisal, children can feel proud regarding their activities.
- For practising this theory, it is important to keep patience and calm. But some children's concentration power is not so good to do the activities regarding the theory.
3. Implementation of the resilience theory:
Resilience theory becomes quite popular since the past few decades. This theory helps social workers to care about the stress management of kids and also for adults. The benefit of this theory is that this theory assists in developing a prosperous future and in handling stress that can be generated by maltreatment, misbehaviour, and so on (Liu et al. 2017). Regarding the theory, the caregiver should treat the kids gently. The social worker should conduct some conversation sessions with Megan and Sam in order to recognise their feelings and thoughts. Along with that, a neighbourhood circumstance should be developed by the caregiver regarding the implementation of this theory. Flexibility should be incorporated in the tasks which help the caregiver to provide the essence of belongingness to the children. The caregiver should integrate Sam and Megan with social works in order to develop their mental health.
- By the help of this theory, children can easily control and overcome their stress.
- Apart from that, their mental health can be recovered very quickly through the implementation of this theory.
- Neighbourhood circumstance is essential to implement this theory.
- If the kids are not able to communicate with the caregiver, then it is not possible to mitigate their level of stress.
4. Improvement of physical health:
Individuals health effects on the whole community in which they belong. Also, inferior health hampers future development and educational opportunities (Unitedway, 2020). Thus, some strategies should be implemented by the caregiver to improve the physical health of the kids which are given below briefly;
The social worker should organise some exercise sessions in order to enhance the physical health of Sam and Megan. Exercising at home can develop a robust and positive character in the kids. Regarding the same, push-ups, sit-ups, lunges, stretching can be very effective.
As everyone's body is composed of water, thus remaining hydrated is very crucial to improve health. Therefore, the social worker should fix a schedule in which Megan and Sam drink water.
Sleeping at a specific time regularly helps kids to restore the lost energy in the exercise. Also sleeping at night allows people to repair the damaged cells. Apart from that brain also rebooted by the help of good sleep. Thus, the caregiver should schedule the time of sleep.
Most viruses attack and spread due to remain dirty and unhygienic. Thus, handwashing is a crucial factor to restrict virus attacks. The social worker in regards to the hygiene should focus on the regular handwashing of the kids to improve their health as well as to restrict future attacks.
- Children can easily and quickly develop good physical health through the help of exercising. This can help them to combat in an unsafe condition.
- Children required some motivation during their exercise and also to maintain the schedule regularly. Sometimes it is found that after a few days, children are not willing to follow their plan, which hampers the improvement of their physical health.
5. Improvement of mental health:
Future development crucially depends upon the mental health of kids (Pruess, 2020). Thus, the caregiver should focus on the mental health improvement of Sam and Megan. Remain happy is not just a way to develop a prosperous future. Some other stuff is also required to improve mental health. There are massive strategies present which should be implemented by the social worker in order to strengthen the mental health of the kids.
- Unconditional love
- Recognise and value Providence of the feelings
- Playing sessions
- Provide the kids with knowledge about respect and discipline.
- Let the kids do a task own.
- Let the kids independent when it possible
- Remain honest at every time.
- Some problem-solving sessions which should include Crossword puzzles, mind games etc.
- Neighbourhood culture
- Allow the children to share their personal stories
- Playing family games.
- Be a role model for them.
- Get to know their friends.
- Help the kids to set some goals.
- Allow them to share their thoughts and opinions.
- Encourage them to do new activities.
- Aware about own triggering elements regarding emotions.
- The strategies, as mentioned earlier, are beneficial to improve thinking capability, mental stability and develop a healthier future.
- Though the strategies are beneficial, sometimes miscommunication hampers the strategies which impact on the mental health of children.
For developing a bright and healthy future, it is necessary to be physically and mentally healthier person. Also, belongingness is an essential factor for children as they want from everybody who surrounded them. The theories which are described earlier as well as the stated strategies are beneficial to develop belongingness with community, physical health and mental health. The social worker can quickly improve the condition of Megan and Sam by implementing the above strategies. The caregiver can transform the current situation into a bright future for both the kids.