ITECH 5500 Professional Research and Communication: Mini Research Project Assessment Answer
- Internet and wireless connectivity have enhanced the efficiency of management
- It helps in managing the medical equipment and ensuring collation between them (Colorafi et al 2016)
The internet of things provides a bird's eye view of the technologies in real time and thus fosters better management. When the medical equipment is not connected, they are managed separately, and the process is ineffective and loses critical hospital resources and time for treatment. The cost of management is also significantly reduced by the use of IoT. Need for better efficiency in handling medical equipment and contribution of the internet of things in it. The internet of things provides an integrated interface to control, coordinate and manage the functioning of the medical equipment.
- Disconnected technologies are inconvenient to manage and enforcing sustainability and cost-effectiveness (De Oliveira et al. 2017)
- The purpose of this study is to find the contribution of the IoT in the management of the medical equipment.
- The primary aim of this research project is to find the effectiveness of the use of IoT in medical equipment management.
Although there are several studies on the applicability of the medical equipment and the effect of managing them in the treatment procedure, there is a lack in the particular case of a contribution of IoT. This project aims to shed light on it. Overview: The project has used several known methodologies and data collection methods for obtaining factual data for analysis. The conclusions drawn are based on the analysis results. Safeguards were also taken to prevent bias and data contamination.
Summary of Research Questions and Purpose:
- Research Question: How can the medical equipment be better managed with the use of IoT in the medical field?
- The primary aim of this project is to find the effectiveness of the use of IoTin managing the medical equipment
The cost-effectiveness of the use of IoT in medical equipment management and maintenance. The cost-effectiveness of the use of internet of things for the use in the medical industry
- H1: RFIDs and IoT can expedite the process of management (Patel & Patel 2016)
- H0: RFIDs and IoT cannot expedite the process of management
- H2: WSAN, Actuator Networks and Pervasive Computing increases the efficiency of the management of medical devices (Lakkis et al. 2017)
- H0: WSAN, Actuator Networks and Pervasive Computing does not increase the efficiency of the management of medical devices
The use of RFIDs in conjunction with the internet of things can better expedite the process of management of the medical equipment and help in timely distribution, manufacture and tracking of the medical equipment. The use of wireless sensing along with actuator networks has increased the efficiency of the management of medical devices as the radio tags enable easy tracking and controlling the equipment. The use of the equipment can also be better done when the routine of use can be organised with precision, which is done by the use of IoT.
- Research Philosophy: The positivism philosophy allows an analysis of the actual data collected and hence will render much better and accurate results for the research (Flick et al. 2018).
- Research Approach: The research approach to be adopted in this project is the inductive approach.
- Research Design: This project will use descriptive research design: The descriptive research design helps in including all the primary factors for the descriptions (Colorafi & Evans, 2016).
This will help in including all the relevant factors which affect the healthcare and the health industry and there are many factors which may be left out and which may have a significant contribution to the IoT. The descriptive methods also help in gaining an all-round view of the case. The research philosophy which will be used in this project is positivism philosophy. The reason for using the positivism philosophy is to find out the factual data on the impact of the internet of things in the management of medical equipment. The inductive approach is necessary as new theories are going to be formed on the basis of this research. Hence, an approach which adapts to the particulars of the requirements is used. The inductive approach, like the grounded theory, helps in analysing the data which is mostly new. The new theories are going to be formed on the new data as well as past experiences.
- Data Collection Method: There are two types of data collection methods which are primary and secondary data collection methods (Farhat et al. 2018).
- Data Sampling: Conduction of 20-30 experienced IoT professionals from the medical industry.
- Data Analysis: The predictive data analysis method includes adoption of tools like t-test, SPSS and ANOVA (Gandomani et al. 2015).
The research project will select a mixed type of data collection method. The researcher will use the mixed method, i.e. both the primary and the secondary method of data collection will be used for this project. The primary methods help in obtaining factual data from the surveys and interviews of the professionals from the medical industry. The secondary data collection method helps in getting relevant information from the past research, and thus a combination of the two is required for the research project to sufficiently analyse the data to reach a conclusion. The research intends to find the effectiveness of the IoT in the medical industry and a true reflection of it will be possible only if the information is derived from the engaged professionals of the field. So, the interview of 20-30 professionals has been carried out by the researcher.
The data collected has been analysed using the predictive data analysis method. As the conjugation of the previous data and experiences are being used to formulate a new theory, the predictive analysis method serves the purpose as the assimilation of the past data with the new is supported in it. The SPSS, ANOVA etc. tools would also be used for this purpose.
· Summary of Relevant Literature
- The use of IoT allows remote access, control and managing of the medical equipment (Davies, 2019)
- The cost-effectiveness of the use of IoT in the management of medical equipment (Houngbo et al. 2017)
The non-physical and wireless connectivity of the medical equipment allows the professionals to oversee the functioning and thus use the equipment in a more productive way. There is a need for a fewer number of people for managing the equipment which reduces the cost of maintenance
- Incorrect use of medical equipment (Moses et al., 2015)
- Untimely maintenance
The IoT allows the calibration, tracking and control of the machines which is essential for the correct and proper use to increase the shelf life of the equipment. The functioning of the costly and expensive medical machines require timely maintenance, which can be ensured by the IoT. It can send alerts and reminders for the repair work needed.
· Summary of Methods, Methodology and Data Collection:
Variables: The IoT, Human Integration, data collection, interviews (Scott, 2017)
The variables are interdependent as they work in combination with the efficient management of the medical equipment. The equipment managed by the people, to act on it. The alerts and reminders become useless in such cases. The interviewees should answer truthfully on which the accuracy of the results obtained is hinged
· Summary of any other considerations/aspects of the research
- Safety Considerations
- Privacy and confidentiality
The required permissions have been obtained from the interviewees for the use of their opinions in this research project. The authentication has been obtained through email. The use of medical machinery can involve significant risks if not handled properly. So, the safety of the operators is always necessary. The interviewees have been assured of the confidentiality of the opinions, and the records have been kept with utmost security. It will not be shared or disclosed.