Leadership Development of The Healthcare Organization
Effective Leadership in Health
The leadership development is described as the flourishing of the capacity of the individuals in order to perform the leadership roles in the organizations. However, the leadership functions are those which use to facilitate the implementation of the organization's strategy by developing the alignment, winning of the mindshare as well as helps in growth of the abilities of the other individuals. The functions of the leadership might be formal with the corresponding authority to take responsibility and also to make decisions or it can be the informal functions with few official authority like team engagement, purpose as well as direction, listening to the peers and looking after the negotiation through the influence of others (Anhang et al., 2014). Moreover, the development of leadership is considered to be the most vital point for the success of the business. Furthermore, it has been noticed that with the help of the effective leadership program there is an increase in the improvements as well as the outcomes of the business. This assignment will shed light on the leadership development of the healthcare organization (Clinton, R. 2018). In addition, this assignment will also go through with the Kouzes and Posner model of leadership development and also the analysis and development of the various leadership abilities along with particular strategies.
Analysis of the five Kouzes and Posner practices
Leadership is referred to as the relationship among those who aspire to lead others in the better direction of them and also to those who choose to follow them. It has been noticed that most of the time the relationship is used to be one-to-one whereas sometimes it can be one-to-many. Despite the number, grow, emerge as well as thrive in this disquieting period the leaders should master the dynamics of these relationships. However, they should also learn about how to mobilize others in order to struggle for the shared aspirations. It has been further observed that through analyzing thousands of leadership experiences it has been noticed that regardless of the settings as well as the time the individuals who used to guide others through the pioneering journeys surprising used to follow the similar paths (Day et al., 2014). Moreover, every experience they acquire is unique or specific in the individual expression but there were also identifiable actions as well as behaviors which makes a huge difference. In addition, when making certain extraordinary things to happen within the organizations the leaders found to engage in what we knew as the five practices of the exemplary leadership. Furthermore, these practices are not the private purview of the individuals nor do they belong to the few selected shining stars. Moreover, leadership is not about the personality of the individual but it is the behavior of them on how they react on certain issues or handle certain problems or the situations. The five practices of the exemplary leadership are further described as follows:
- Model the way- As it is known to all that the behavior earns the respect, not the title which has been provided. Moreover, the exemplary leaders used to know that if they want to acquire commitments as well as to gain the highest standards they should be the model of the behaviors they use to expect from other individuals (McCleskey, J. A. 2014). For model the behaviors they use to expect from other individuals the leaders should initially be clear about the guiding principles and also they should clarify the values. In addition, the leaders should find their own voice and they should distinctively as well as clearly transfer these voices to the value.
- Motivating a shared vision- The leaders used to envision the future through imagining ennobling as well as exciting possibilities. One should have the appreciation of the past and also a transparent image of what the outcomes should look like even before beginning with any kind of project. Furthermore, one must connect about what is meaningful to the others and should also establish the belief that individual can achieve something greater and bigger from this. Apart from this, the leaders should also enlist other ones in the common vision and to enlist the individuals in their common vision the leaders, first of all, should know about their constituents and can also know about to speak on their language (Popescu, G. H., & Predescu, V. 2016). On the other hand, individuals should believe that the leaders use to understand their requirements and also have interests at heart. In order to enlist the leaders should possess the intimate knowledge about the aspirations, dreams, hopes, values as well as visions of the individuals.
- Challenge the process- challenging is considered to be a crucible for greatness. It has been observed that each leadership case is involved with the challenge they have faced to become a good leader. Moreover, not a single individual used to achieve the personal best by keeping things in a similar way. Despite all the uniqueness, all the good leaders are found to be involved in overcoming the adversity and also embracing the opportunities in order to innovate, grow as well as improve (Shamir, B., & Eilam-Shamir, G. 2018). The leaders are considered to be a pioneer and they are willing to step out into the unknown as well as complicated paths. Mostly the good leaders used to search for the opportunities so as to grow, innovate as well as improve as they know that change and innovations involve experimenting as well as taking of the risks. Apart from all this, with the inevitability of the failures as well as mistakes the good leader chooses to continue in any matter.
- Enables others to act- Acquiring as well as achieving greatness needs the effort of the team and it also requires a strong trust among all of the team members for enduring the relationships. Moreover, it needs the collaborations of the groups and the individual accountability which basically begins by empowering those who are around. Being a good leader needs to be open to all the notions and also to provide each one a voice in the effective decision-making process. The sigh of the good leader is that they use to build trust as well as foster collaborations (Sosik, J. J., & Jung, D. 2018). However, the exemplary leaders used to work on the matter in order to make the individuals feel strong, committed as well as capable. The leaders also help in enabling the others to act by not hoarding the power they possess but by providing it. Furthermore, the exemplary leaders used to strengthen the capacity of each one in order to deliver the promises they have made.
- Encourage the heart- The leaders used to encourage the individuals in order to achieve what is complex and tough to proceed. They used to motivate and inspire those to achieve those dreams which are thought to be as impossible. Furthermore, the genuine act of caring helps the individuals to drive forward which is a vital lesson. Similarly, in many organizations, the members or the staffs want to know that their managers use to believe in them and also to their capabilities to fulfill the aims or the objectives of their respective jobs. Moreover, the individuals want to feel valued by their employees as well as acknowledging their accomplishments in a better way so as to demonstrate their value. Hence it is considered to be a part of the leader’s role to show appreciation to the contribution of the individuals in order to develop a culture of celebrating victories and values. In addition, encouragement is the vital part for the members in order to expand the business and through this, the leaders used to link rewards with the performances of the members so that they can also perform better in future.
Analyzing of an example of leadership with exemplary leadership practices
Possessing a good communication skill is an example of leadership where being a leader one must be able to succinctly as well as clearly explain to the member's everything from the objectives of the organization to the particular tasks. However, the leaders should master all forms of communication skills which consist of departmental, one-to-one and full staff conversation and also the communication through email, phone, and social media. In addition, a huge part of communication is the process of listening. Hence leaders must develop a steady flow of communication among themselves as well as to their staff or the members either by an open door policy or the regular means of conversation with the workers. Apart from this, the leaders must make themselves available regularly in order to discuss the issues as well as concerns with the staffs and the members (Storey, J. 2016). Furthermore, with the help of the effective communication, the leaders will be able to deliver the plans to the members in order to accomplish the organizational objectives and also meeting the needs and demands of the consumers. Through active listening as well as verbal communication the leader will help in understanding the several visions of the organizations. Listening to the complaints as well as the feedbacks of the members and staffs, the leaders can take out effective ways for resolving such matters. Effective communication also helps in transferring better ideas among the team members in order to perform well with their respective jobs within the organization. With the help of proper communication, the leaders can deal with any kind of major issues as well as problems within the organization. Effective communication can also aid in dealing with other international delegates in order to expand the business in the leading market across the globe (Vogus, T. J., & Hilligoss, B. 2016). With the help of the proper communication, the leaders can build up trusts as well as faith with the team members as well as staff within the organization which leads to the better productivity of the organizations. In addition, the proper communication helps in also establishing good relationships among the leaders and the employees. Through the help of the communication, the leader can encourage the employees to achieve greater success in their field of job. By effective communication, the leader can motivate as well as inspire the team members to perform better in order to fulfill the objectives of the organization.
Illustrate an understanding of the role and nature of effective leadership in health
The physician can become the effective healthcare leaders so as to influence the care of each patient, to check the performances of the large clinical team and cam also provide direction to the junior physicians regarding the diagnosis as well as the treatment of the patients. Moreover, the health facilities basically exist in order to provide health services to the patients within the communities. Hence the managers require to ensure that the satisfaction of the client is of the utmost significance. Therefore, all the staffs in the healthcare sectors should be trained well in order to understand the patient's circumstances. Moreover, the staff must not be judgemental and should provide information to the patients so that they can make any kind of important decisions based on the treatments they want to undergo in the context of their personal status (Wagner, W. E. 2016). The staffs should also be able to aid the patients in order to understand their responsibilities which include living a healthy lifestyle, to provide the best health outcomes by adhering to the regimes of the treatment, they should not participate in the risky behavior and also to open as well as honest about the issues they are facing. However, the attitude, as well as the behavior of the staff towards the patients, helps in influencing the willingness of the patients in order to obtain access to the treatments care and also to accept as well as follow the health promotion messages. Apart from this, the negative attitudes of the staffs lead to the decrease in the self-esteem of the patients and also decrease in their will for seeking quality services from the organization (West et al., 2014). In addition, the appropriate tools that must be used by the healthcare sectors in order to assess the satisfaction of the patients or how the patients use to perceive the development of the health consists of suggestion boxes, surveys on client satisfaction as well as community consultant committees. Furthermore, in the healthcare sector, an effective leader will look after all the urgent cases that need to be attained at the initial point. The leader will help in providing affordable as well as accessible health services to the patients so that they can choose as per their living standards. Being an effective leader will enable the privacy of the patients when they are undergoing healthcare services. It is also the role of the leader to look after on the matter that each patient must be treated with dignity and respect when they are receiving healthcare services. The leader must also focus on the matter that the personal details of the patients should remain confidential and must be treated by the experienced as well as knowledge healthcare professionals for their better improvement of the health conditions. The leader should also concentrate on the health as well as the safety of all the staffs working within the organization.
Contributions to the development of leadership abilities
Developing a good leadership quality needs disciplines as well as patience. Therefore in order to become a good leader one should be focused enough on the vision or the goals they used to proceed with. For a good leader, one should possess the clear vision in order to deliver to the other ones so that they can take the path and can achieve the marked objectives. Developing good leadership abilities needs a passion for achieving any kind of goals or to handle any kind of issues or to face any kind of barriers and also to overcome with a greater way. Being a good leader needs the one to know about their strengths and also to utilize them when it is needed in an utmost manner (Yoder-Wise, P. S. 2014). For an effective leader, the individuals should focus on their self-strength as well as weakness in order to foster this at the specific time. For being an effective leader one has to be definitive about the goals and they should follow the strict action plans in order to fulfill the aim at the appropriate timelines. Apart from this developing good leadership skills needs improvement in the communication skills and also the individuals must possess the qualities to encourage as well as motivate others so that they can also perform well in their respective job fields.
To conclude this assignment has been dealt with the leadership skills as well as leadership development. In this assignment, discussions have been carried out regarding the practices of the exemplary leadership. In addition, discussions have also been carried out on the analysis of the exemplary practices in the context of the chosen example of leadership. Apart from this, discussions have also been carried out on the role as well as nature of the effective leadership in the healthcare sectors and how the leaders help the patients and the organizations to mutually work together in order to maintain a sustained flow of the procedures.