MBA 641 Strategic Project Management: Upgrading Current Website of PHL Assessment Answer
Statement of Work
PHL is well known construction company in Australia. In order to expand the business the management of the company has come up with the strategic plan (Maleka, 2014). In the technology driven world and real time availability of information the strategic plan of the company needs to incorporate the efficient and effective system for exchange of information by the company with the outside world. Thus the CEO of the company has approved the Website Redevelopment Project for the company.
The project will upgrade the current website of PHL www.pashendale.weebly.com. The new website is proposed to help in increased marketing of the company and provide quick customer service. The website will display detailed information about the new project undertaken by the company. And the tailored solution provided by it to its customers. The website will also have a section wherein the prospective customers can post their queries and ensure a timely response to their queries. The project will increase the customer interaction with the company and thus will help it to gain more projects and capture additional market. The website will have the section containing latest news about the company and industry so that the users are well informed about the legal and administrative changes in the construction industry. The Website Redevelopment Project is thus a strategic move to improve the interaction with the company and enhance its sustainability.
PHL Ltd does not have an internal IT department and thus to get the expertise and excellence the website redevelopment project will be outsourced to the contractor with adequate resources for carrying out the all the task involved in the project management on a timely and efficient manner.
Project Management is the combination of skill, knowledge and tools and techniques to carry out the activities and achieve the desired results (PMI, 2019)
The Scope of the project specifies the all the work that are to be performed in order to complete the project successfully (PMI, 2013). The deliverables of Website Redevelopment Project includes the completion of the different phases of the project life cycle as follows (Eby, 2018):
1. Project Planning: The planning phase will include the detailed project plan for every activity that will be carried out by the contractor. The study on success of the project by Dvir, Raz and Shenlar (2003), shows that there is a direct relationship between project plan and success of the project. The availability of modern computerized tools for project management makes the implementation and monitoring part relatively easy if the planning of the project activities is done in detail and with precision (Watt, 2019). Thus the contractor needs to provide a detailed project plan with the work break down structure, the schedule and pan to carry out the testing and implementation. The project plan will be presented to the company for review and approval.
2. Definition and Design: This phase of the project should require the contractor to collect information that has to be incorporated on the website and then lay out the website design which will fulfill the requirements of the company. The project design should not only include the allocation of resources but also include the collaboration and define the interdependence between them so that there is smooth interaction between the teams (Girard & Robin, 2006). The design must be reviewed and approved by the PHL team. This phase will include the coding of the approved design and carrying out the testing.
3. Implementation Phase: The phase will require the contractor to implement the new website on the servers of the company and provide 24x7 support to the company till the end of the project. Weekly status of the project progress needs to be provided to the company. Reporting and updates form a very important part of project implementation and hence it is important that the contractor proves status updates of the project in writing in weekly meetings (Crawford, 2003). This is iterative Phase because if the project implemented does not satisfy all the requirements, the process will be repeated again (Hermann, 2017)
4. Conversion Phase: The phase will lead to project closure after the contractor provides all the documentation of the project and all the deliverables of the project are satisfactory. The PHL’s Chief Marketing Officer, Sennveasna Naveen and his team has the responsibility to ensure that the project has been completed successfully. She will sign the closure of the project after ascertaining that all the work has been delivered by the contractor and the project is completed successfully.
There will be following exception to the Project:
1. Since PHL do not have any Internal IT department, the company cannot provide any technical help in the project.
2. PHL will continue to work on its existing website and keep it running until the new website is ready to be implemented. Thus the internal intranet site of the company will not be available for any work to the contractor. The contractor must have all the required resources to complete the project and deliver the work.
The details work required in each phase for the successful completion of the project are defined as follows. The listing of work details helps in smooth implementation of the project activities (Harned, 2019). The details of work required are for both the company as well as the contractor:
1. Issue of Statement of work for the project
2. Selection of contractor for outsourcing the project
3. Planning Phase:
3.1 Work break down structure- listing all the activities required for the project broken down into the smallest manageable work (Abbasi & Maharmah, 2000)
3.2 Project schedule- The time line by when the task will be completed
3.3 Testing Plan- how the testing will be done and how the problems will be solved
3.4 Implementation Plan- how the project will be implemented and resources will be managed
3.5 Training Plan- the training to the employees of PHL will be imparted for how many days and duration of the training. Any sort term courses they might need to complete?
3.6 Transition Plan- how to ensure smooth transition from the existing website to the new website so that the work of the company is not affected.
3.7 the project must be approved by PHL
4. Definition and Design Phase:
4.1 Gather the requirement of PHL which are to be fulfilled by the website
4.2 Establish the metrics to achieve the requirements
4.3 Create the website design according to the requirements and which achieve the metrics
4.4 The website design proposal should be prepared and presented to PHL for review and approval
5. Coding and Testing:
5.1 Complete the coding of the website in accordance with the approved design
5.2 Prepare the testing plan
5.3 Check that the website includes all the content provided by PHL
5.4 Conduct testing in the lab of Contractor
5.5 Conduct testing in limited beta release
5.6 Check for any issues identified in testing
5.7 Compile the testing report and present to PHL for review and approval
6. Implementation Phase:
6.1 Implement the new website on PHL servers
6.2 provide 24x7 website support to the company
6.3 Provide training to the staff of the company
6.4 Prepare the report on implementation phase for weekly meeting and present to the CMO
7. Conversion Phase:
7.1 Provide PHL will the detailed documentation related to the project
7.2 Present the project closure report for review and approval
7.3 Complete the project requirements checklist to show that all the tasks are completed
7.4 Conclusion of the 24x7 web support by the contractor
7.5 Contractor provide PHL with weekly progress reports
8. Completion of the project
8.1 Contractor prepares the project closure report and present to PHL for review and approval
8.2 CMO and team Review the Project deliverables and if all the delivered, accept the project
8.3 Sign off the project if acceptable
8.4 If disagreement in project deliverables between the PHL team and contractor, refer to the contracting officers of both the organization- review and discuss