MKTG3001 – Business to Business Marketing Assignment 3: Business Analysis Report
Value 40 marks
This assignment gives you the opportunity to examine how companies operate in the business environment. Writing an effective business report is a necessary skill for communicating ideas in the business environment. The key to a good report is an in-depth analysis of the company and its environment to show the reader how the writer has interpreted the findings. To write your report you only have to use secondary data. You find secondary data from library, company’s website and report, industry report, newspapers, management journals, trusted websites, etc. Your report should be 2,000 words ± 10%. The reference list, and the appendixes are excluded from the word count.
Note: You must select ONLY one of the two companies for your Business Analysis Report.
When analysing your selected B2B company, you should identify and select a specific B2B theory/theories as a foundation for your analysis. In your report, you have to address the following issues:
- Introduce your chosen company, addressing the scale of their operations, past performance, the markets they operate in, and their product range. Your introduction must identify whether your company serves a B2B market or both B2C market and B2B market. You may need to use secondary data to develop a compelling introduction to your chosen company. Use graphs, charts, and tables if necessary.
- Identify your organisation’s most significant competitors. You have to outline the strengths and weaknesses of these competitors relative to your chosen company. Note you should analyse only three competitors for this section of your report.
- Identify and describe the target market for main products in your chosen company’s overall product range. In this section, you have to identify the major customers for your chosen company and provide a very short summary of who these customers are and their main strengths. Further, you need to identify the main supplier of raw materials for your chosen company and identify their main strength. You only have to analyse three products, three suppliers, and three customers for your chosen company.
- Identify two macro-environmental trends that are relevant to your chosen company. Discuss how your chosen company can improve its marketing mix in view of the macro- environmental trends you identified only for the three products you selected.
- For the three main products you identified in your chosen company, critically analyse their marketing mix (i.e. price, promotion, and place) using relevant theory.
Important notes regarding Assignment 3
- Please submit on time - our experience shows nearly 20% of students are faced with a penalty for the late submission. Late submission penalty does not apply for cases in which an application for Special Consideration is made and approved.
- Each claim you make needs to be supported by some evidence, for example a reference to research findings or published sources.
- In your assignment, you will probably have accumulated a wide range of facts, published research, and other information relevant to the topic. Please do not simply throw these facts together in body paragraphs, without properly applying them to the topic or signalling to the reader the connections between them. Sentences and paragraphs should not feel jumpy and disjointed. Each sentence should follow the preceding sentence and each paragraph should follow the preceding paragraph.
- All sourced content must be referenced appropriately (both in-text citations and reference list) using APA 7 style. The reference list, which should be included at the end of the report, is not included in the word count.
- Theories and concepts should be included in your discussion. Please do not use underpinning theories as a separate part of the assignment.