MNG10247 Managing Organisations: Assignment 2 Marriotts Manager Interview Answer
This is a research report that state the analysis of the interview done with Marriott`s manager. The planning function of the manager is analyzed in the report. Recommendation is also given to manager in context to the planning aspects.
This report is based upon a research carried out with an aim to elucidate or analyze the application of theory in context to the managerial functions (i.e. controlling, organizing, leading and planning). The analysis is made on the basis of research i.e. interview done with Liam Brown the manager of JW Marriott.
There are four main functions of manager- leading, organizing, controlling and planning. The other functions of manager are related to these functions. Organizing function of the manager aspire them to bring all the requisite resources together such as financial resources, human resources and physical resources to accomplish objectives. Manager`s organizing function focuses on classifying the activities, delegating authority and creating responsibilities. After this, manager then organize the relations of authority and responsibility (Dogan, 2011). Controlling: This is management function which includes measuring achievements against the settled objectives and goals (Ivanenko, 2018). There is a need that managers should be able to find out the deviation sources from a successful accomplishment and to give a corrective course of action. Firstly, the goals and objectives should be settled after that, they shall be measured (Ferguson and Smith, 2014)
The planning function is mainly considered in the research as an important function of the manager. Planning implies on taking decisions that how manager shall carry out the tasks and role. The planning function of manager also aspire to select steps that could help in realizing the determined goals and objectives. The manager shall be aware of the issues that could raise difficulties in carrying out the business processes or functions; then it requisites that forecasting shall be done by the manager to predict economic conditions and trends in business. Planning facilitates in allocating the resources in appropriate manner and eliminating waste (Raduski, 2016).
Briefly Describe the role of manager
The restaurant manager`s role in carrying out the processes and operations of the restaurant or the hotel is quite indispensible. Manager`s role in the hotel is specified below:
a. Organizing the operations of hotel (organizing)
b. Responding in effective manner to the complaints made by customers.(controlling )
c. Leading the employees to get the work done (leading)
d. Planning for menu and activities that could help in providing constructive experience to the customers (Ferguson and Smith, 2014). (planning)
Description of the important task along with the functions of manager
The manager of a hospitality industry has to perform a number of tasks or activities. As the manager has several responsibilities that intends to enhance the performance of business, maintain health and safety as well as quality standards the work place (Ivanenko, 2018). The important functions of the manager at restaurant are given below:
- Make strategies and examine the profitability and restaurant sales levels of the business.
- Arrange marketing activities like discount schemes and promotions.
- Preparing reports at the end of the shift/week, sales, food control and staff control should come under it.
- Develop and implement the plans for staff development and profit, and department sales.
- Setting budgets and get them approved from the upper-level management (Raduski, 2016)
- Planning for menus
- Synchronizing the restaurant operation during scheduled shifts.
- Make the staff to be engaged in activities and it should be given training, motivation and also it should be managed.
- Give answers to queries of customer and complaints.
- Meeting and greeting to the customers, making arrangements for table reservations and give advice related to the menu and wine choices.
- High standards of quality control should be managed as well as hygiene and safety and health.
- Examine stock levels, arrange supplies and develop cash drawers and little cash
Key challenges of the manager role
A manager has huge accountabilities; however several aspects act as obstacle for managers that challenge the role of manager. Some of them are:
- Varying expectations of customers. This challenge is related to the planning aspects as variations in expectations cannot be predicted instantly (Ferguson and Smith, 2014).
- Maintaining accuracy in accounts It is related to the challenge of organizing aspects.
- Managing discipline amongst staff. It is a challenge that is related to the controlling aspects of managerial functions. The hotel manager faces a challenge while managing discipline in the staff (Rozman, 2017).
Planning is one of the important function of the manager. As without planning, a manger cannot carry out his tasks or functions effectually. Planned activities delivers better results in comparison to unplanned ones. It can be evaluated that the formulation of plan is critical for the manager. Planning in relation to outlining menu, delegating tasks to staff, plan for budget is crucial for manager so that any of his function shall not get disrupted because of particular forces or aspects. In order tp plan, the manager has to consider the other functions as well, such as leading, organizing and controlling. As all these functions are related to each other (Dogan, 2011). Through appropriate planning manager can perform the tasks or activities effectively in present and future as well.
It is recommended to the manager of the hotel that he shall not only concentrate on planning, but also make effort to implement the plans efficiently. As a plan without implementation cannot deliver benefits. There is also a need to revise a lot and time is also needed to match the reports when day and month end, when the calculation is done with hands it becomes complicated and it increases the chances for mistakes; so that organizing function shall not get interrupt.
A manager`s activities and functions make an effect on the performance of the organization. As a manager has numerous responsibilities that is related with the execution of business in constructive manner. stomers, managing accuracy in the accounts books and while managing discipline at the workplace.