Supplementary Assessment– Mental State Examination
|Assessment name||NUR2200 Mental Health Across the Lifespan – Supplementary Work |
Mental State Examination Assessment
|Brief task description||Written Assessment Task . Completion of a written mental state examination, risk assessment, signs and symptoms and a nursing report based on an interview between a psychiatrist and mental health consumer. |
|Rationale for assessment task||Standardised assessment tools used can be formal or semi-formal, and include the mental state examination (MSE) and clinical risk assessment, however, there are numerous other tools incorporated to collect data in the clinical setting. This assessment will help develop these skills. |
|Length||There is a 7 page limit to this assessment. |
Two pages for the MSE
Two page completed Risk Assessment Tool
Maximum of one page each for the Mental Health Nursing Interventions; Nursing report and Reference list.
|Marks out of:|
|40 marks |
For your grade to be finalised, you will need to obtain 50% or more of the marks allocated to this assessment item to receive a C grade. Those that are unsuccessful in obtaining the above mark will be awarded a Fail ( F ) for the course.
|Course Objectives measured||Aligns to the Course Objectives 3, 4 & 5.|
LO 3- Legal and ethical issues in caring for people with a mental illness. Mental health act legislation.
LO 4- Diagnostic related groups and contemporary mental health nursing practices.
LO-5 Treatment Modalities and Medication Safety.
|Task detail||Please include the following consumer details on the appropriate documentation for this assignment. |
|URN : USQ77478 |
Name: Leroy Brown
Address: 1122 Jones Road, Smithfield. 4444
e.g. paranoia - Leroy believed that he was being followed as evidenced by…..
- Download and read the history related to Leroy Brown.
- Access and download the MSE form and risk screening tool from the study desk. “MSE Form & Risk Screening Tool.” The MSE is a word document, and you are required to type directly into the formatted document provided.
- From the information obtained from Leroy and documented on the MSE, a risk assessment is also to be completed using a Risk Screening Tool (separate from the MSE that you will complete). The risk screening tool is available via the study desk. Print both sides of the risk screening tool form and complete the assessment in your own hand writing. As this form must be handwritten, writing must be legible for marking and no other risk assessment form will be accepted.
- Watch the video about Leroy that is located on the study desk. Provide a written record of your observations from the interview/assessment between Leroy and the mental health consultant, on the MSE form. Refer to your text and lectures throughout the semester on the study desk for assistance, ensuring that you use the appropriate mental health terminology to communicate your findings.
- You may provide your findings in dot point or in a short paragraph, however, you must support and specify the evidence that substantiates your observation,
The MSE report is to be typed as a word document, be succinct and relevant to your findings that were included in the interview content.
This will require you to gather the relevant and pertinent details and combine this into your nursing report. This is not a narration of your findings; this is to be succinct, pertinent and relevant information that would be important and critical to document in a patients chart. As this is report style writing, references are not required for the nursing report as you have gathered the details from your findings.
- From the findings and documentation in the MSE or Risk Assessment screening for Leroy, identify THREE (3) relevant symptoms or issues that Leroy displayed during the interview, or is recorded on the Risk Assessment.
- Research TWO (2) evidenced-based nursing mental health interventions per finding / symptom to assist you in completing the management plan for Leroy.
- Complete the symptoms / findings and intervention page. There should be THREE (3) symptoms / findings in total identified, and TWO (2) evidenced mental health nursing based interventions per symptom (total of six interventions) and one reference per intervention to a total of six individual references.
- The symptoms / findings that you record on your intervention page, must be from documented evidence within your MSE and or risk assessment report.
- Nursing Report: Together with your findings from the MSE and the risk screening assessment, you are required to write a one-page nursing report (400-500 words) , as if you were documenting your findings into a patient chart, by using the SHARED tool that is commonly the preferred communication tool in QLD mental health.– situation, history, assessment, risk , expectation and documentation.
|Writing Style|| This assessment piece will be written in the form of a Mental Health Assessment providing reference to relevant peer reviewed articles. |
- For this assessment you will use APA 7 referencing style.
- The two mental health nursing interventions per symptom, must be supported and referenced from scholarly, evidenced-based, peer reviewed nursing literature/journal articles and current Mental Health texts.
- Six individual references are required (do not repeat the same reference) .References must be no older than 6 years. No links, Blogs or websites (other than Australian government websites) will be accepted.
- In text citations: You must include in-text citations in the body of your work. Each new point or piece of evidence must be attributed (via in-text citation) to the source.
|Formatting Style|| |
|Resources available to complete task|
All resources are available in the Assessment block on the study desk.
Link to the Vimeo of interview between consumer ( Leroy ) and mental health consultant.
USQ Mental State Examination Form and QLD. Health Risk Assessment Screening document.
Nursing report and Reference List.
SHARED document for guidance for nursing report
|What you need to submit||One Adobe PDF document or Microsoft Word document, no longer than 7 pages, and contains the following items:|
- Mental State Examination report ( 2 pages)
- Qld. Health Risk Assessment document ( 2 pages)
- Symptoms / findings and referenced intervention page ( 1 page)
- Nursing report ( 1 page)
- Reference List ( 1 page)
This assessment task must:
- Use APA 7 referencing
- Submitted in electronic format as an Adobe PDF document or Microsoft Word document via the Mental State Examination Assessment Portal on the study desk. The assessment must be submitted to Turnitin before finalising your submission. No assignments will be accepted via email.
- Your 7 pages must be submitted in the following order: Mental State Examination; Risk Assessment; Symptoms / findings and interventions; Nursing report and Reference List.
|File Name Conventions||Save your document with the following naming conventions: surname_initialORstudentnumber_coursecode_A1.doc/docx/pdf|
|Moderation||All staff who are assessing your work meet to discuss and compare grading decisions before marks or grades are finalised.|