Strategies For Social Worker To Heal Mental Condition of Abused Children Assignment Answer
Module: Children and Families
Abuse of a child can take many forms whether they are victims, or they are the witnesses. The impact of the abuse can stay life-long for a person (UNE Online, 2020). In this regard, the responsible social worker can take some approaches in order to heal the mental condition of the two abused children, Sam and Megan. According to the context, the age of Sam is just 16, and his sister's age is 14year. Thus, the abuse on them impacted vulnerable due to which they like to stay at their grandmother's home. Based on the needs of the child as evident in the Meitheal Strengths and Needs Record Forms of both the child, the responsible social worker should adopt some strategies in order to bring a prosperous life in Sam and Megan's life.
Intervention strategies for the social worker:
1. Indulging in play to increase verbal power:
One can be the most effective strategies for the social worker in order to enhance the verbal communication of the children, Sam and Megan. Regarding this strategy, the social worker should influence them to express their feelings in a sentence or verbally to her; thus, she can understand what they actually feel about a matter. For expressing their feelings, they might need to have effective communication skills (TheSchoolRun, 2020). The social worker should establish a listening and speaking session with them in order to develop Sam and Megan's speaking power. Due to the impact of abuse, both the children remain in a frightful condition. The social worker should develop a healthy bond with the children such that it could be easier for the children to communicate (Thulin et al. 2019). The social worker should implement indoor playing sessions like storytelling, painting activities in order to develop more communication between them. When they are in a playing session, Sam and Megan can easily mix with the social worker and express their feelings. By the help of which, their communication power can be raised.
- One of the most crucial benefits of this strategy is that children can express everything from which they are suffering.
- Apart from that, implementation of this skill will help the children to acquire knowledge on every minute aspect of life.
- Sometimes it is found that, by increasing the communication power, many children speak enormous things which are not worthy.
- Alongside, one of the major drawbacks of high-level expression is that kids express each and every minute thing which they observe in a situation and could be anxious about everything.
2.Engagement to recognise their feelings:
According to that, the social worker should take another approach of “few questions with more answers" (Singer et al. 2017). In this regard, some open-minded gameplay sessions have to be carried out by the social worker. The social worker should ask a question and tries to achieve more than one answer from Sam and Megan. If both of them provide more answers or statement in regards to a question, then their power to express their feelings increase at a greater extent. Though, some open-ended questions are required to deliver the children by the social worker.
- Due to this strategy, Sam and Megan can express and deliver their consent about each and everything if any kind of further abuse will occur with them.
Fear will not get a chance to attack them, which is a positive response to this strategy (Childress et al. 2018).
The most crucial drawback of this strategy is that children share their every feeling, which are sometimes needed to be kept secret (Kelly,2018).
3.Strategy to make emotionally healthy:
According to the American Academy of Pediatrics, 21 per cent child of United States needs some diagnosis regarding their mental health (Firestone, 2012). Therefore, it is very crucial to develop a mentally healthier child. Regarding this factor, the social worker should influence Sam and Megan to speak a sentence. When they deliver their statement, the social worker should provide dominancy over them. Although, the social worker needs to be casual and open-minded and also to have a friendly characteristic. By this kind of gameplay, the children, as mentioned above, should learn about how to deal with a dominant factor, which can make them emotionally stable. Apart from that, the social worker has to deal with them politely in those situations.
- Everyone in this world tries to develop an emotionally strong character. By the help of this strategy, the social worker can quickly develop an emotionally durable nature of the children.
- Being emotionally intense, they can fight with any kind of hazardous situation.
- Often it is found that being emotionally strong children does not express any kind of emotion to anyone which may be lousy characteristic.
- It is not needed to be only just an emotionally healthy person; it is also required to be an emotionally supportive character. This is one of the most crucial flaws of this strategy.
4. Increasing learning power:
According to the statement of Sam and Megan's father, they both are not concentrated in their learning and future development. Thus, the social worker should deploy strategies like maintaining dairies, making storyboards and others in order to increase the concentration power of Sam and Megan. Thinking gameplays are most beneficial in this regard. Crossword puzzles, jigsaw puzzles can improve the concentration level of the children's (Duh, 2016). Along with that, sequencing games are also helpful. As the relationship between sequencing and concentration is very strong in nature (Lau, 2018). The social worker should set some things in alphabetical order and asked them to recognise the pattern. After that, the social worker should arrange them randomly and ask them to resolve it. Due to this type of gameplay memorisation power as well as the concentration power of Sam and Megan can be increased by the responsible social worker can increase.
- By the help of this strategy, Sam and Megan's concentration power will be raised to a greater extent. Due to which they can focus on their learning activities precisely.
- For developing future, it is needed to have higher concentration power. Thus, the children can crack academic degrees very efficiently by developing higher concentration power.
- Being high concentrative, sometimes children engage with their studies for a long time which can affect their eyes as well as the impact on their health also.
5. Working on improving concentration:
For increasing the patience of Sam and Megan, the social worker should develop a distraction-free environment. Regarding this, some sessions have to be carried forward by the social worker in which Sam and Megan could be kept in a room with visual graphics and lighting. The social workers should be encouraging learning activities through the visual presentation as it could be able to attract the attention of the children
- The significant advantage of this strategy is that it can help a child to keep calm and patience in every situation.
- Everyone likes the calm nature of a person. Therefore, Sam and Megan can effectively achieve the love of their belongings.
- Some situations require some actions, but the major flaw of this strategy is that in the most dangerous kind of situation, children try to keep calm and patience in an unsafe condition.
By implementing the strategies as mentioned earlier, the responsible social worker can effectively handle Sam and Megan. Alongside, the social worker can develop a beautiful and precious life for the abused children.