WELLNESS AND WELLBEING ESSAY
Wellness is an active process that helps a person to become aware and make choices in context of health and fulfilling of the life needs. Wellness impacts more towards being free from illness and is considered as a dynamic process of growth and change. On the other hand Wellbeing is a general term which is used to consider the condition of an individual or a group. In this context, the following study will elaborate about the concept of wellness and wellbeing along with its impact on the child’s attainment of wellness. Incorporation of impacts regarding media aspects and factors that can be used in health model perspective will be illustrated in the following points. Discussion will also be made on the strategies required for early childhood improvements of child’s wellness and wellbeing and support of the families towards improving the wellness and wellbeing.
1. Definition of the concepts of wellness and wellbeing
Definition of Wellness: Wellness is considered as the process of becoming aware and taking necessary choices towards healthy and fun life. It makes it easy to be free from illness and helps in growing (Burns & Davies, 2015). It is a state of complete mental, social and physical wellbeing. The concept consists of seven dimensions which makes it suitable for an individual to perform accordingly. The dimensions and its suitability will be illustrated in the following points:
Figure 1: Dimensions of Wellness
- Physical: The physical wellness constitutes of different variety of health behaviours which includes limited exercise, abstaining and proper nutrition driven out from harmful habits such as drinking of alcohol or drugs. It helps in learning about the symptoms of regular medical checkups and protecting itself from injuries (McMahon, Tay, Tapsell & Williams, 2016). Developing efficient health habits will add to the life of the individual and also enhance the enjoyment and quality of the performances. There are some tips to physical wellness such as adequate rest, eating variety of foods, controlling meal portions and use alcohol in moderate situations.
- Emotional: Emotional weakness is considered to be a dynamic state that fluctuates in a rapid manner unlike other dimensions. Being well emotionally can be defined as the possession of the abilities to be free and express the emotions like happiness, anger and sadness. This means that the individual have the ability to love o being loved by someone and consist of sense which fulfil the performance throughout life. In order to say emotional wellness individuals would need to try Cultivating optimistic attitude, Learning management skills and Accept and forgive nature.
- Intellectual: Dimension relating to Intellectuality helps in encouraging creativity and stimulating metal performance. Minds of an individual continuously require exercise and inspired accordingly (Fawcett, 2018). People who consist of these two aspects possess high-level of intellectuality wellness and consist of active mind and continuation of learning. Person who uses these resources helps in expanding knowledge and improving skills. Tips that will provide as a suggestion to the intellectual wellness include reading, learning of different languages and learn to appreciate.
- Social: Social ability refers to process of interacting with different communities and live up to the expectations and demand of personal performances. This provides effective learning of communication skills, creating support network to people. This includes make healthy relationships, contribution to the communities, sharing talents and skills.
- Spiritual: It involves possessing of guiding beliefs or values that will help in giving directions to one’s life. This encompasses a high level of faith and commitment. People who seek for harmony and peace will require exploring the spiritual core, being fully active in everything done, being curious for more and finding opportunities to grow and challenge (Bell & Cooper, 2016).
- Environmental: Environmental wellness is to provide awareness from unstable state of the performances and its effect from the daily habits on the environment. It helps in maintaining the way of living and maximise harmony with the earth and minimising harm from the environment. Suggestions including environmental wellness are conserve water, reuse and recycle, minimise use of harmful chemicals and stopping of junk mail.
- Occupational: Occupational wellness includes preparation and making use of the skills and talents to gain an effective enhancement in life. The development of the occupational wellness and satisfaction is related to the attitude in the performances of an individual. It means successful integration of commitments in the occupation in the lifestyle that may be fully satisfying and efficient (Spence, 2015). The different suggestions to gain optional occupational wellness consists of exploring cariry of career options, choosing of a better career that suits the interest and be open to learn and implement new skills.
Definition of Wellbeing: Wellbeing in general is said to be as the condition of an individual or group through which the performance that are being done will be for the maintenance of the people. High level of wellbeing will acquire the means of some sense that individuals or group will require (Mankin, von der Embse, Renshaw & Ryan, 2018). In this context the process is defined into three perspectives including absence of negative conditions, attainment of positive processes and pursuing towards the satisfaction of life. These three perspectives consists of six domains which includes:
Figure 2: Domains of Wellbeing
- Evaluation of life: This provides illustration on the evaluation of people on the concern of wellbeing. It will be necessary to say that people would want to take control of its life evaluation and on the contrary of which it may be suitable for the individual to perform and lead up its performance as per the requirement.
- Emotional health: If a person is suffering from ill health then it would need to be the duty of the individual to take control of the performances through which the person suffering from it will effectively deal with the situation (Clarke, 2017). Taking care of the person will provide effective illustration of the performances and deal with the situation in an effective manner.
- Physical Health: People with physical disabilities will require the entry wellbeing. This may be necessary as to take control of the performances through which it may be suitable for the person to heal fast without any problem. It would need to be the duty of the person to take care of the individual suffering from health issues and do the needed criteria possible.
- Work environment: Working according to the environment is what required by the people on the virtue of which it will be suitable for the individual suffering from welling being problem. It would need to be the duty of the person to effectively lead up the performances and take control the procedures and perform accordingly.
- Healthy behaviour: It would need to be the responsibility of the people to take care of the child who may be suffering health behaviour problems. This may make it hard for the child if not taken effective care of (Gerrans, Speelman & Campitelli, 2014). In this context it would need to be the duty of the person to control its performances and lead up the processes as per the requirement.
- Basic Access: Basic aspect relating to these performances will make it easier for the child to grow and without any problem. This may help the people to perform and maintain its performance in respect to the individual suffering from it.
2. Discuss on three factors that can influence a child’s attainment of wellness
Discussion on the factors chosen using some of the health model perspectives and health related theories
Health of the Child Development for Set a Stage of Proper Security and Attachment:
A child wants the attachment of love in matter of security. A child who can get the proper security and attachment from parents he/she can explore the environment much faster in comparing to others. They can feel confident in order to compete with new challenges. It also makes them to be a self motivator.
Goodness as Matters of Fitness: The adaptability of a child depends upon the inborn quality and some biological traits. These indicate the child’s natural strengths and weaknesses that whether they are surrounded by proper care giving strategies (Sher, 2015). In matter of wellbeing the strategy transform the environment more supportive and unique about the treatment of the child.
Play as Learning Factors of a Child: Play is like a therapy to development the child’s growth of brain. It can help a child to socially attach. Playing provides a positive energy to support a child emotionally, physically, mentally and cognitively. It also helps to increase the scope of learning in terms of maintain the wellness of a child. It is very helpful for a child to enhance the overall development of child nature.
Model of Health Belief: In 1966 Irwin Rosenstock was developed a model which is called the Health Belief Model commonly known as HBM model. The model has been identified as one of the most effective and influential model for promoting health wellness. In this model it has been described through four factors. 1) Perception of susceptibility- the risk assessment of a person for getting the conditions as contrasted with the statistical risk, 2) Perception of severity- the conditions and the possible consequences of the risks, 3) Perception of barriers - barriers including side effects, time gap, inconvenience which are interrupting in adoption of behaviour and 4) Perception of adhering the cost (Roncaglia, 2017). This model has been used to ascertain the effectiveness of general health behaviour and positive health behaviour.
Planned Behaviour Theory: In the year of 1985 Ajzen introduced a theory in extend of the Reasoned action and development theory named as Theory of Planned Behaviour, shortly known as TPB model. In this model the concept of the planned behaviour of a human being came from self efficiency. It is used when people have no conscious control in their action of behaviour. The lack of control over the actions of human behavior is the main focus point of this model. Ajzen determined that self efficiency was a major factor to evaluate the activity and self consciousness of a person.
Incorporation of discussion regarding the impact of media aspects related to health issues
There are several studies are there which incorporate the influence of social media which can have an impact on health issues. It influences the health hazards in order to maintain the wellness of human life.
Addiction of social media can generate the negative side effects in human body. Excessive use of social media can create problems such as, eye strain, lack of sleep and many more. Stress is a general issue which can reflect the negative impact in human health directly (Lawrence, Kaplan & Collard, 2018). In accordance to the health of child wellness, social media can create an obstacle against the growth of the child’s brain. It hampers the emotional connection of a child with their parents. Nowadays addiction of social media is a major phenomenon. Social media can generate positive connection but it also hampers the lifespan of a human being. Social isolation can decrease the quality of human life.
Consideration on the issues of equity
There are many children who do not reach the full health and development potential. Disparities may develop no matter how fluently care is being taken. This disparity may arise from social and environmental issues which are not perfectly taken care of and according to the principles. In context of integrating the principles child health equity would require rights for children, human capital and social justice (Drummond & Cox, 2016). In this context, children marginalised through socioeconomic, social exclusion and discrimination may result to following disparities:
Living in poverty
Racial minority groups
Affected drug and alcohol abuse
Living with quarrelling and violence
The factor that had been elaborated will marginalise the social exclusion and poverty. Children who experience different risk factors may lead up to rights ignored. Child health equity may be conceptualised under this policy which is composed under the elements provided. This can be operated under tools, skills and strategies that will help in promoting performances and lead up the performance accordingly.
3. Discussion on the strategies early childhood programmes that can implement to support families towards improving their child’s wellness and wellbeing in relation to the issues selected
Good health and wellbeing in context of children may link with information and programmes that will help in providing details regarding the ways through which positive performance can be maintained at physical levels and manage the challenges in raising healthy children. In this context the strategies that would need to be kept in mind are as follows:
- Development of children: It would need to be the duty of the parents to take care of their children as it will be helpful in maintaining the performance and lead up the needed processes (Hodgkin, Warburton & Hancock, 2018). Children would need to be taken an effective care through which maintenance of their needs would need to be taken into consideration by their parents. This will help in analysing the better health of the children.
- Behaviour: Behaviour with the ill children is said to be necessary as this will help the child to get well soon faster. Play is like a therapy to development the child’s growth of brain. It can help a child to socially attach. Playing provides a positive energy to support a child emotionally, physically, mentally and cognitively.
- Health: Regular health check-up is necessary for the children as this will help the individual to get well soon. The procedures that are being taken into consideration by the parents will provide effective performances in respect to the children. If a person is suffering from ill health then it would need to be the duty of the individual to take control of the performances through which the person suffering from it will effectively deal with the situation.
- Nutrition and fitness: Proper nutrition and fitness is essential for every child as this will help in providing effective feedback through well effective health of the children. People who look up into these factors will work on the practices through which effective health maintenance can be kept into consideration (Ward, Outram & Heslop, 2018). These indicate the child’s natural strengths and weaknesses that whether they are surrounded by proper care giving strategies. In matter of wellbeing the strategy transform the environment more supportive and unique about the treatment of the child.
- Connecting and communication: Communication and connection with other people will definitely widen up the mind works of a child. It is said to be as necessary for the parents to keep control of its performances and lead up efficient working factors in order to perform accordingly or the children.
As per, the above illustration of the wellness and wellbeing provided with effective concepts regarding wellbeing and wellness. The research effectively illustrated about the factors that had influenced child’s attainment of wellness. Issues developed from the factors had also been illustrated along with issues regarding equity as this will help in providing effective information on the things needed by the people in order to take care of the children. Discussion on the strategies of early childhood had been performed through supportive families and improving wellness and wellbeing.